Alpe D huez Closed roads etc

Nowser Lad
Nowser Lad Posts: 34
edited July 2013 in Pro race
How accessible is D huez on tour stage day?

how close could you park?

How long before the race do the roads get closed?

Cheers

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    For similar questions it would be best to us this thread viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12862634

Remember that because of the double ascent next Thursday is predicted to be the busiest Alpine stage ever.

The Alpe will be full with no more route side parking from Monday or Tuesday. The Gendarmes will close the road to traffic in the middle of Wednesday night. You will be able to cycle / walk up on Thursday morning

Parking in Bourg D will be almost impossible. I'd advise either parking at Rochetaillie and cycling up or getting there the day before. Parking close to Bourg D or even on the Villa Recluse road will mean you spend hours and hours trying to get back down the valley stuck in traffic. Fastest and most pleasurable way is to do it by bike.

Good luck and have a great day.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    This is useful, thanks. I'm going to be driving to the Alpe from Mt Ventoux on Monday or Tuesday to find somewhere to camp for a few night. Was thinking I might cycle the hill on Wednesday to 'tick that particular box' then cycle up on race day to find a good spot.

Can't wait!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Forehead wrote:
    This is useful, thanks. I'm going to be driving to the Alpe from Mt Ventoux on Monday or Tuesday to find somewhere to camp for a few night. Was thinking I might cycle the hill on Wednesday to 'tick that particular box' then cycle up on race day to find a good spot.

Can't wait!

Yep, Im camping 8 miles away from le bourg, cycling up on the wed and then cycling up halfway for the race. the town will be buzzing the 2 days before and on the night after ther stage...good times
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    EPC06 wrote:
    Forehead wrote:

Can't wait!

Yep, Im camping 8 miles away from le bourg, cycling up on the wed and then cycling up halfway for the race. the town will be buzzing the 2 days before and on the night after ther stage...good times

Awesome. I'm really looking forward to it, travelling solo. If you see me puffing, give me a push!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Nowser Lad
    Nowser Lad Posts: 34
    Thanks for the info Fellas!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Consider getting close to Oz or Vaujany and getting the gondola up and across. It will also be busy.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Forehead wrote:
    Awesome. I'm really looking forward to it, travelling solo. If you see me puffing, give me a push!

I would think there will be a lot of people doing that, how will anyone know it's you?