First road bike on a budget - advice sought

Simmsy77
Simmsy77 Posts: 27
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys

Like many others I'm looking at getting into road cycling and was hoping to be up and running very soon while I still have abit of the summer left. The only thing is I'm on a budget and I appreciate that 'you get what you pay for'.

Basically I have 2 options and was looking for some advice.....

ONE - If I want to be on the road very soon then I'm on a budget of £400 so have been looking at the Btwin Triban 3 and the Claud Butler Criterium (does anyone have any experience with these ?)

TWO - I have a cycle to work scheme starting later in the year which will enable me to have a much bigger budget on a bike, but that won't be until Nov / Dec time

Im really not sure what to do, Shall I go for the cheap option that allows me to get started now or hold off and get a better bike. I don't want to be buying a cheaper bike now if its not going to be the best option in the long run. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Why not buy a cheap bike from Fleabay till your money matters are better or the bike to work scheme comes into play.That way you will have more time to consider the options but still be able to hit the road.The cheapo bike would also work for your winter training.

Just my two pennies worth.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Simmsy77
    Simmsy77 Posts: 27
    Cheers Davdandy, appreciate the feedback. Suppose I could use it for a winter bike once I manage to get a better one. Just didn't want to rush out and get one to suit my current budget and regret it in a few months
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Triban bikes get very good reviews for the money:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bik ... y-for.html
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    There's often good value 2nd hand bikes for sale on the Classified section of this site to consider- probably less of a lottery than fleabay. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    My thought was get a bike now,either the triban or carerra and learn and ride as much as you can before winter comes.By the time your work scheme bike is available you will now if its for you and also have a better idea of what you want.
    Then as has been said,use the cheapo bike as your winter bike.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • andy531pro
    andy531pro Posts: 11
    I too have been looking for a road bike for my wife. I am looking very seriously at Decathlon's Triban 5 (the new model) which is amazing value at £430. On the plus side it has a 6061 frame (sloping top tube) and carbon bladed fork. It also has 9sp Sora shifters, Sora front and rear mech and chainset. This is Sora 2013 however so it comes with paddle shifters - far better than the 2012 group which had button shifters as per Campag and Shimano 2300. BUT the brake calipers are Decathlon own label as are the tyres, hubs, rims, bars, stem, seat post and saddle - that's how they can sell this bike at such a price. Having seen the bike up close in the shop, the frame is actually pretty nice but the wheels could be better. I am thinking of getting Annalise one of these and swapping for a pair of Shimano R501 wheels with better tyres, carbon seat post and ladies saddle. The alternative is a Merlin S220 for £329 but it has a steel fork and 2012 model Sora/2300 drivetrain. On the plus side, it is £100 less and the hubs are formula (better than the Decathlon hubs in my view) and it also has a Truvativ double chainset. I have also seen some Viking Circuits on the net with full Tiagra for £450 but I am told the frameset is mighty heavy. Hope this helps!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    elderone wrote:
    My thought was get a bike now,either the triban or carerra and learn and ride as much as you can before winter comes.By the time your work scheme bike is available you will now if its for you and also have a better idea of what you want.
    Then as has been said,use the cheapo bike as your winter bike.

This---^ If you get something half decent (A Triban 5 has been mentioned) then you also end up with a half decent bike as a winter/2nd bike rather than a piece of crap meaning you are actually going to ride it when the weathers crappy despite having a much better (and nicer to ride) bike.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava