Fitting Question...

nternal1
nternal1 Posts: 58
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I'm on my first bike in 35 years (a Giant Defy). I've gotten a Specialized Toupe RBX Expert saddle and had the bike fitted at the Giant store where I bought it. My impression is the half hour fitting session got decent results but I know that a serious fit takes few hours. I intend to use the bike for 1-2 hour fitness rides. Is it worth while to take the time (and money) to get a hard core fitting done or is this mainly for competitors or people going on a long bike trip?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    See how you get on, it may be spot on. If you start getting some serious pain then time to reassess...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    Having not had a fit myself my opinion is unfounded.

I believe that people like you and myself would benefit from a proper fit but it's not completely necessary. Some small, gradual experimental adjustments soon get you comfortable enough for leisure riding. (may not be the ideal or most efficient position but hopefully comfortable)
    Start with the saddle position first, height then fore/aft. Bar height, then stem length/angle. Then minor tweaks thereafter.
    Google some guides on fit/YouTube some vids they all help.

This is what has slowly worked for me and is good enough for what I do. I'm also reluctant to pay somebody quite a large sum of money to tell me what is best for me. Some people like to be told what to like others (me) like to find out the hard way what they don't like! Ouch!

Just me 2 pence...