edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Is the chain dry?
Yellow is the new Black.

Comments

• Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    arenaman wrote:
    It seems ok at the moment

I think smidsy is saying you are probably best able to answer the question of the chain drying yourself.... :wink:

I keep my bike in the conservatory and have to admit the same thought has crossed my mind. I haven't noticed any ill-effects as yet though. Got talking to a guy at the weekend who keeps his bike in a porch with a glass roof - he reckons that the temperature in there last Saturday morning caused punctures to both his tyres/tubes - but i'm not sure whether to believe it or not? It was unbearably hot in our conservatory at the weekend and I had no tyre issues.

I also went to someone's house a couple of years ago who had bikes everywhere, the hall, the porch, the garage, outside sheds everywhere you looked there was a bike. They had three bikes hung with string from the purlins in the loft - and it was every bit as hot up there as our conservatory gets and dusty as hell too (and I imagine it must be very hazardous getting them up through the loft hatch) but the bikes seemed non the worse for it.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Been wondering about this too. My bike computer often shows above 30C when I get my bike out.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I keep mine in a back room as the garage is being rebuilt, its a hot room but ive never thought about the heat drying out the chain.
    Living MY dream.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    What??? You don't take it to bed at night? :shock:
    ...is that just me??? :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    skyd0g wrote:

No, there's at least one other: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 095134.stm
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    RDW wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

No, there's at least one other: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 095134.stm

Stories like that are what proves how the legal system in the UK is lunacy.
    This guy obviously needed help (in a hostel, performing sex acts with a bike) not a criminal record.
    What will probation do to help ?
    He needs psychiatric help not punishment.
    Living MY dream.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    VTech wrote:
    RDW wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

Stories like that are what proves how the legal system in the UK is lunacy.
    This guy obviously needed help (in a hostel, performing sex acts with a bike) not a criminal record.
    What will probation do to help ?
    He needs psychiatric help not punishment.

Definitely, like so many things it just lacks any common sense at all. I think so many people just don't know how to use their brains any more - talk about 'computer says 'No'..... If he was alone, locked in his own room, irrespective of whether he has some issues which need addressing - what crime has he actually committed? I can't quite see what he's done that is illegal? Odd, for sure, but surely not a matter for the police? Crazy.

As for the bike, I took mine into the kitchen once, but that was when the missus was out, don't think i'd risk taking it upstairs! :wink:
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    My bike computer often shows above 30C when I get my bike out.

30c is not hot :roll:

It's 37c outside here and I have just got back from 30 mile trip, bike didn't melt, nor did I :D

Chain oil is good from about -30 to +80c, copper grease -40C to +1150C, think the conservatory will be fine, water in bottles will be good for tea!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Schoie81 wrote:
    arenaman wrote:
    It seems ok at the moment

I think smidsy is saying you are probably best able to answer the question of the chain drying yourself.... :wink:

Oh no, my point was far more condescending than that. :P

I mean, conservatory will melt my bike bits .... seriously?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    team47b wrote:
    My bike computer often shows above 30C when I get my bike out.

30c is not hot :roll:

It's 37c outside here and I have just got back from 30 mile trip, bike didn't melt, nor did I :D

Chain oil is good from about -30 to +80c, copper grease -40C to +1150C, think the conservatory will be fine, water in bottles will be good for tea!

The point about the bottles is actually a good one. Likely to brew up a nice cocktail of bugs is you're not careful.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Got talking to a guy at the weekend who keeps his bike in a porch with a glass roof - he reckons that the temperature in there last Saturday morning caused punctures to both his tyres/tubes - but i'm not sure whether to believe it or not? It was unbearably hot in our conservatory at the weekend and I had no tyre issues.
    Hmm. Even a 50C temperature rise is only going to raise the pressure by 20% - will that burst your tyres? And I suspect that the temperature difference will be less than that.
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Dry chain?! This time of year you'd be using a dry lube anyway, no? And even a wet lube won't evaporate.
    I guess the only concern would be hygiene of your bottles if you don't remove and clean them but really we don't get proper hot days in the uk, plenty of hotter countries than this who have no issues
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    My best bike lives in the spare bedroom