Getting your speed up

Druidor
Druidor Posts: 230
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Just got back to cycling ager many years

I have been doing a little rout at lunch times at work its only 8.6 miles which is taking me around the 29-33 minutes. along some main roads and out into the countryside for a bit of fresh air.

Been trying to get my speeds up on the flat sections which are fairly nice but still only around the following speeds according to Strava.

Max Speed 32.7mi/h
Avg Speed 16.5mi/h

http://app.strava.com/activities/65814567

Any tips the more seasoned pros out there can suggest that I can implement.
---
Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race

Comments

• bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Ride more often and go longer distances.

Personally (and this isn't a good approach for everyone), I'm a tech nerd and the thought of maybe one day bagging a KoM on Strava is a massive motivator for me.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    There is a very top secret method to getting faster.....ride more.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Do more cycling first, improve position second.

Once you're doing enough training, you can think about training smart - structure, HRM, nutrition etc - but if that's where you are at currently, you just need to ride more.
  • kwozzymodo
    kwozzymodo Posts: 45
    Seasoned, I may be, but pro - definitely not.

I have a training route I follow probably 3 times a week. It's around 18 miles. I've been setting myself little targets to beat over the six months or so that I have been using this particular route. I started out completing the course in 1hr 12mins and I'm now riding it sub 1hr. I break the ride into chunks, and use things like telegraph poles, clumps of trees, signposts, etc., to push my efforts as I am riding around the course. If you've got a Garmin, you could split the ride into segments and then try to beat those times when you ride the route.

I've also been experimenting with riding on the drops, changing pedalling style etc. , which helps my speed. Set yourself some longer term targets as well - I want to do my route at around 18 mph by the end of the summer, and eventually at 20mph.

It ain't easy - I've never gained any speed without some effort. Apparently, it never gets any easier, you just get faster....

Good luck.
  • Do more cycling first, improve position second.

Once you're doing enough training, you can think about training smart - structure, HRM, nutrition etc - but if that's where you are at currently, you just need to ride more.

+1
    Just by riding more you should see some fairly rapid improvement for a while which will eventually level off. That will be the right time to look at structure IMO.

I'm not a seasoned pro BTW :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    If you ride a lot and have fun riding fast, you will get faster - to some point. Apart from muscle power, you need to be as variable as the streets and situations are. People keep saying that you should have a high cadenza for pedalling, but that is only half the truth. A high cadenza helps you to stay within your limits, but only for as long as you can maintain this high cadenza. Powerful 80 rpm on a flat and straight road can be more effective than nervous 95 rpm - up to you to find out. I think, it is good to have both options available and know when to use them, made me faster.

But the limiting factor is always fun. No fun, no ... er... gain.

It might even help to upgrade your bike. Physically, it might have effects below mesurement accuracy, but psychologically, it often works.
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    +1 to the advice to just get out and do more, but don't fall into the trap of doing "dead" miles where you're under your thresholds and not stressing your body.

Two tips to avoid this:
    1) See if you can ride with a group - this ismuch more fun and will often drive you harder than you possibly could solo.

2) Try intervals. Doesn't need to be anything technical at first, but find a 0.25-0.5 mile high at perhaps 5% gradient and hit it as hard as you can (you'll probably feel like puking). Rest, then repeat 5-8 times. Eventually you'll want to work on getting a work:recovery ration to 1:3 or 1:2 but don't worry to start with.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Adjust you route so you have a flat mile to start with that you can use as warm up and cool down.

Tackle each climb with a different technique each day. For example stay on the big ring one day and use standing out of the saddle. Next day sit and spin. Next day worry less about the climbing and focus on improving your descents.

Do a shorter circuit for hill repeats.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.