The unbareable heat

Mr.Duck
Mr.Duck Posts: 174
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Yesterday was so hot I could barely stand it. I was in a T-shirt, but within 5 miles even my bare arms were dripping wet with sweat. Coming home I walked the first 2 miles or so trying to burn less energy per minute, struggling on under the heat of the afternoon sun. I did feel I was nearing my limit when the wind died down. This was like 28°C weather. I can't even imagine what it would be like in Australia. I would have to collapse into some shady spot before I passed out.

I was wondering what sort of clothing you wear on the hottest days? The tops of my arms are looking really dark and sun tanned. Does anyone wear long sleeve cycling jersey or something else to protect from sun damage? Gloves too? I have a baseball cap but it's made of cotton and it's not very cool at all. Is there a big difference with a special cycling cap? Apart from the obvious not getting dehydrated, is there anything in perticular that you do?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You do tend to get used to it. I seem to hit a point were the sweat just explodes out of me! I use the lightest top I can find, sleeveless - can always use sun cream on the arms.

Caps tend to hold the sweat in.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I have never gotten used to the heat. Just used to sweat pouring off me like a leaking tap.

Went out Sunday morning and done a 60 mile ride (longest ever for me). I drank two 500ml gatorades, 500ml water and a can of redbull. Still came back around 5lbs lighter than when I went out. the temp rarely drops below 25C even at night. Normally day time temp from real feel from accuweather around 34-36C.

All the fluids you can handle and let the sweat run is my advice
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    Clothing that helps draw the sweat away from you (as best as possible in this weather) makes things more comfortable.
    I did 35 miles of MTBing Sat afternoon in some Aldi cycling kit and it was reasonably comfortable, compared to 10 miles commute today in non cycling baggy shorts was horribly sticky despite it being cooler.
  • I was loving my ebike today - 9 mile commute into work - barely a drop of sweat on me :-)

Pedaled a bit harder on the way home but still comfortable ;-)

Couldn't have paid me to take my car today - glorious biking weather.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Does the salt in sweat pose an added corrosion risk for our parts?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Wearing the proper kit is important - 'wicking' materials that direct moisture out and away from the skin, lightweight fabrics on bib-shorts etc. You wouldn't run a marathon in a pair of jeans. Then there's the issue of hydration and keeping cool, which is something you can learn about and achieve better results. This cycling thing is all about testing yourself in a variety of conditions, surely?
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Mr.Duck
    Clothing that helps draw the sweat away from you (as best as possible in this weather) makes things more comfortable.
    So are you saying it's better to wear a long sleeve top then? To cover up as much as possible to draw the sweat away?
    Does the salt in sweat pose an added corrosion risk for our parts?
    I doubt it.
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Wearing the proper kit is important - 'wicking' materials that direct moisture out and away from the skin
    That's still not clear if you are saying it's better to cover up to wick away the sweat, or just go out in a short sleeve top and no hat.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Wearing the proper kit is important - 'wicking' materials that direct moisture out and away from the skin, lightweight fabrics on bib-shorts etc. You wouldn't run a marathon in a pair of jeans. Then there's the issue of hydration and keeping cool, which is something you can learn about and achieve better results. This cycling thing is all about testing yourself in a variety of conditions, surely?

This.

I rode 120 miles in the heat last week. I drank about 5 litres of water, most of which I'm guessing got sweated out. I didn't notice that I was particularly sweaty though, probably because I was wearing the right clobber that must've wicked it all away from me. I had a well vented helmet, DHB bibshorts, Castelli socks, Shimano R088 shoes, Gore gloves and a cycle jersey which was half undone on the ascents and done up on the descents. Didn't bother with sun cream, my sweat dried and covered me in a nice white salty protective layer (as a consequence I have quite well cultivated tan lines as per rule #7).

A couple of days ago I did a quick 40 mile ride on the way home from work in regular cotton t shirt and shorts and I was a sweaty mess when I got home.
  • Mr.Duck
    My palms got super sweaty and slippery too. Which Gore gloves do you have, Daddy0? Do you like them?

What about wearing just a base layer on it's own? Such as this Gore Bike Wear Baselayer Shirt.

Would anyone wear lycra 'arm warmers' on the hottest days? Not sure how well that would work out...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Some baselayers are supposed to be good

many people say that Arc'teryx are leaders in this with their "Phase SL" baselayers

I think the phase is supposed to refer to a phase change and absorbing latent heat when it gets a bit warmer (somewhat like wool releasing a small amount of heat when it gets wet).

EDIT:

FWIW, Arc'teryx is like a hillwalking equivalent of Rapha, in that its kit *is* good, but does get *very* expensive.

see some of the entries in their Veilance range
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I was very much in the "If you complain about this weather, don't you dare speak when it's cold and wet again" camp.

However, having tried a ride on Sat evening - IT'S TOO DAMN HOT!
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    What's wrong with sweating? I love it. I went on a 45 miler yesterday leaving at 11am, right through the mid day heat. V tough, drank SO much liquid, had to change out of my kit in the hallway when I got home it was that drenched.

But it felt really good - nice detox. The cold shower at the end was magnificent.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    STOP MOANING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously didn't ride any miles in the winter, the last 6 months prior to mid June are the worst 6 months of weather we've had for a long time.... We had no more than 10 good days of weather in Spring and winter was bitterly cold thanks to that NE wind that just wouldn't go away

I'm happy for the hot sun, please stay!!!!!!!! I don't care about sweating a lot, just drink a lot to compensate! It's so much nicer to ride in bib shorts with an unzipped jersey than in full length thick winter leggings, two pairs of socks, overshoes, thermal top, windstopper top, skull caps under helmets and the equivalent of ski gloves!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Riding generates your own personal breeze so generally it is more comfortable than walking at the same work-rate. Not all cycling has to be done to the max. If you are overheating, turn down your workrate. 28 degrees should be a very pleasant cycling temp.
    Bypass your sweat glands and pour water directly over your jersey and head, just like those TdF racers riding up Mont Ventoux. Pre-hydrate in the hr before you ride, so you are peeing loud and clear.
    Riders in extreme desert glare sometimes wear long-sleeved shirts to protect from UV and direct heating. A loose-fitting shirt is more effective than skintight lycra for cooling.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    As it is Saint Swithun's Day today, we are faced with this weather for another 40 days at least! Yippee! For the first time in years I have a genuine 'cyclists tan' generated in this country!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • peat
    Oh trust me, i've ridden plenty this year (circa 3k miles) so have done my fair share of wet/snowy/icy miles.

I just find the hot air quite suffocating. Also my head gets too hot and wants to shut down basic functions. Feels crap.

Gimme 20degC all year and i'd be a happy chappy.
  • Mr.Duck
    BigLights wrote:
    What's wrong with sweating? I love it.
    It sounds like you have some sort of fettish. But I'm sure you wouldn't wear winter clothes in summer just to make the liquids flow out of you more...
    STOP MOANING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously didn't ride any miles in the winter,
    There is a limit. You saw on the news the territorial army SAS training exercise that killed 2 people? That was a 29°C summer day. Cycling in 28°C and under the midday sun doesn't feel that far off to me giving up and collapsing into the shade. Extra measures must be taken to deal with the heat. I can't just "stop moaning" and carry on as normal. Some people may be able to cope with it better. I usually prefer the cold (if I'm outside I mean, not if I'm sitting at home trying to keep warm).
    MichaelW wrote:
    Bypass your sweat glands and pour water directly over your jersey and head, just like those TdF racers riding up Mont Ventoux. Pre-hydrate in the hr before you ride, so you are peeing loud and clear.
    That's some good ideas. The only sort of issue with it is with commuting, if you turn up somewhere and you are literally dripping wet, leaving wet patches everywhere you sit. Fidgeting around almost uncontrollably because you need to pee. You might get some strange looks from people...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Pre-hydrating does have its difficulties, you really have to know your response. On some all-night coach journeys in Turkey, I would drink lots about 1 1/2 hrs before and make sure I peed at least 2-3 times. I could then get through the whole journey without touching a drop.
    Squirting a bit of water onto your hair, neck, and wrists seems to be most effective. Obviously use water not energy drink. You don't need to drench yourself. A small mister spray works well. Also, use the last section of your ride as a rolling cool-down, it is much more effective than getting off the bike in sweat and diving into a warm building.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I sweat like a bugger (through my head mostly) and having cycled through the winter I'm loving the heat. Loving it.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    MrSweary wrote:
    I sweat like a bugger (through my head mostly) and having cycled through the winter I'm loving the heat. Loving it.

Ditto that. I do take an extra few mintes to cool off before changing
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I went for a 2 hour ride at 9pm last night. Temperature was perfect :-)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Peat wrote:
    Oh trust me, i've ridden plenty this year (circa 3k miles) so have done my fair share of wet/snowy/icy miles.

I just find the hot air quite suffocating. Also my head gets too hot and wants to shut down basic functions. Feels crap.

Gimme 20degC all year and i'd be a happy chappy.

3k miles this year, 125 miles a week? Light weight. 3k in snow and ice you say. Where do you live that there has been snow ice on the ground for that long?

Try riding 15-16k miles a year, 300 miles a week. Now I HAVE ridden 5-6 days a week, sometimes 9 day stretches to and from work through the winter and the current heat is very very welcome. The only people who are whinging that it's too hot are the obese. Serves them right for eating too many pies.

Bring the heat on
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Did something similar on Monday. Despite working pretty hard, the breeze I generated kept me pretty cool. Right up until the moment I stopped when I immediately started drowning in my own sweat. So there's only one answer, keep riding at all times!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • peat
    dilemna wrote:
    3k miles this year, 125 miles a week?
    *willy waving*
    Bring the heat on

Very good.
  • peat
    Daddy0 wrote:

I was setting off in the car at 4:30am this morning, struck me that the temperature was ideal for riding.

Maaaaybe i won't change the alarm tonight.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Peat wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    3k miles this year, 125 miles a week?
    *willy waving*
    Bring the heat on

Very good.

What I thought!

....Even so, I'm not going to moan about the heat, yes it's very hot, but it's also fairly nice on the bike, unzip the jersey and you'll get a nice cool bit of air as you cruise along, the army guys that died are a bit different, they're wearing stupid clothing, carrying huge rucksacks and running about the place, running in the heat is a huge difference to riding a bike in the heat, less cooling wind (slower) and more exertion (harder) generates more body heat.

Riding in the heat is fairly easy, just pace yourself sensibly and enjoy it; when it's as hot as it's been the last week I tend to slow right down and enjoy being out in the sun rather than blasting trying to get PRs because I'm never going to get PRs in this heat, but I am going to love being out on the bike...... Especially with the amount of cold miles I've done over the winter months!

Just 4-5 months ago I rode for 1 hour in pitch black freezing fog and returned home with ice all over me; about .5cm thickness of ice on the front of my helmet! I'm loving the heat (on my bike).

Sleeping in the heat is quite troublesome though, but I'll live with it!
  • Mr.Duck
    the army guys that died are a bit different, they're wearing stupid clothing, carrying huge rucksacks and running about the place, running in the heat is a huge difference to riding a bike in the heat, less cooling wind (slower) and more exertion (harder) generates more body heat.
    Wern't they marching/hiking? Exerting energy by heavy lifting has a lower burn rate than cycling which is is cardio workout and would have a higher heat output. You are also confusing heat output with temperature. I guess the main problem for those TA/SAS guys was lack of water for what they were putting themselves through. Once there is no more water to sweat out, body temps rise. Eventually causing brain damage or some other organ damage.

I did today receive a superb Gore Bike Wear Path Passion Short Sleeve Jersey. I've yet to try it out in the heat, but it's so light, breathable, vented and comfortable. It will surely be an improvement over a T-shirt I would normally use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pansies, I work in India occasionally, out here right now and did 54 miles last Sunday - on a rental mountain bike on Indian 'roads'....MTFU (drank 3.5 litres and didn't have a pee for 9 hours mind!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    the army guys that died are a bit different, they're wearing stupid clothing, carrying huge rucksacks and running about the place, running in the heat is a huge difference to riding a bike in the heat, less cooling wind (slower) and more exertion (harder) generates more body heat.
    Wern't they marching/hiking? Exerting energy by heavy lifting has a lower burn rate than cycling which is is cardio workout and would have a higher heat output. You are also confusing heat output with temperature. I guess the main problem for those TA/SAS guys was lack of water for what they were putting themselves through. Once there is no more water to sweat out, body temps rise. Eventually causing brain damage or some other organ damage.

I did today receive a superb Gore Bike Wear Path Passion Short Sleeve Jersey. I've yet to try it out in the heat, but it's so light, breathable, vented and comfortable. It will surely be an improvement over a T-shirt I would normally use.

T- shirts are typically cotton which is awful at wicking away sweat.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Mr.Duck
    dilemna wrote:
    T- shirts are typically cotton which is awful at wicking away sweat.
    I know now. I only just got my first summer specific cycling jersey. But I made sure to use the cotton T-shirt first to show without doubt that it is not up to the job. Then I can splurge on gear.