Where to put my stuff?

awginger
awginger Posts: 23
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Not had my road bike long (got a Giant Defy 1) but been out a few times and am struggling with where to put my stuff!

I have a little bag/box under my saddle with a light built into it and have my multi-tool and tyre levers in there but I have nowhere to put my phone, keys and spare inner tube unless I wear a jacket with pockets.

I have looked at tops with pockets on the back but being a 'larger' gentleman I don't really like how snuggly they fit, I normally just wear a 'normal' t-shirt.

Anyone any ideas/recommendations, or know of any tops with pockets that aren't as tight?

Cheers,
Wilko

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Topeak wedge saddle bag, I've got the small one and can get alot in it...pump, 2 tubes, keys, CO2 etc
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    If you don't want to wear a jersey then maybe a bigger bag under the seat would help.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Become a "smaller" gentleman and wear a jersey with pockets.........
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    With a bit of ingenuity it's amazing how much stuff you can pack into a small under-the-saddle bag. In my Topeak I have two inner tubes, a multitool, pair of disposable gloves, wipes for oil/grease removal, spare chain links, some patches and a couple of CO2 cylinders. No wonder I struggle uphill. :roll:

I can't see that you have a lot of choice other than wear a top with pockets (or stuff it into an empty second bottle), so embrace the Lycra. :) No matter what you think you look like, there's always someone worse and frankly it's easy to feel awkward but I don't think anyone else cares.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Tuck it under your spare tyres?
  • awginger
    zardoz wrote:
    Become a "smaller" gentleman and wear a jersey with pockets.........
    I'm trying, hence the cycling! lol
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    With a bit of ingenuity it's amazing how much stuff you can pack into a small under-the-saddle bag. In my Topeak I have two inner tubes, a multitool, pair of disposable gloves, wipes for oil/grease removal, spare chain links, some patches and a couple of CO2 cylinders. No wonder I struggle uphill. :roll:

I can't see that you have a lot of choice other than wear a top with pockets (or stuff it into an empty second bottle), so embrace the Lycra. :) No matter what you think you look like, there's always someone worse and frankly it's easy to feel awkward but I don't think anyone else cares.

Good idea, and maybe you're right. I should just not worry about it, I'm a bit porky but at least I'm trying to do smoothing about it!
    styxd wrote:
    Tuck it under your spare tyres?
    I'm not that fat! haha :P
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    What about wearing shorts with pockets.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    awginger wrote:
    Good idea, and maybe you're right. I should just not worry about it, I'm a bit porky but at least I'm trying to do smoothing about it!

Smoothing? A charm offensive then. :lol:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    My 'small' saddle pack comfortably fits a spare tube, patch kit, levers & multi tool plus keys & loose change. Food & phone go in the back pocket where i can get to them easilly.
    The larger saddle pack is pretty big (and expandable) and can take the lot if required but I rarely use it except for carrying extra bits when i cycle to work without my rucksack.
    They're both Toppeak - usually a selection of them available in most bike shops.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Tribags like these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11335&_$ja=kw:topeak+tribag|cgn:Topeak-AC-1-514+-+topeak+tribag|cgid:4863445996|tsid:40896|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-P-Exa-All-DT-SE|cid:207166756|lid:5081060239|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:18041770636&gclid=CPHY7K7eorgCFXMbtAodrXQAcw from Topeak are useful.

If you want even more space then the Abus Lock bags can be very useful: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-chain-lock-bag/

Neither get in the way or rub against my shorts (like big saddle bags can sometimes).

I also have a Lezyne Micro Caddy saddle bag which is just big enough for tools, CO2 pump and a spare inner. I use the tribag on my road bike for phone, snack, keys or the Abus lock bag on my Mountain Bike to carry phone and a few snacks/tools if not using the Camelbak.
  • I use one of these in one of my bottle cages

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tool-carry-case-id_8123841.html
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    elderone wrote:
    If you don't want to wear a jersey then maybe a bigger bag under the seat would help.
    +1

I got the large Topeak Aero Wedge the other day. In it it now has two tubes, three CO2 cartridges, a road pump, tyre levers, multitool, chain tool, nitrile gloves, some cash, credit card wallet, and still quite a lot of space.

I also got the Topeak tri bag, which gets stuffed full of flapjack.

Way nicer having a lot less food in the jersey pocket.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    elderone wrote:
    +1

I got the large Topeak Aero Wedge the other day. In it it now has two tubes, three CO2 cartridges, a road pump, tyre levers, multitool, chain tool, nitrile gloves, some cash, credit card wallet, and still quite a lot of space.

I also got the Topeak tri bag, which gets stuffed full of flapjack.

Way nicer having a lot less food in the jersey pocket.

I get pretty much all of that in my bag, and I only have the small one!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    When I'm on a road bike I use a small saddle bag and stuff my jersey pockets. But if you're not ready to embrace lycra, what about a bum bag? I use one when I'm on my mountain bike (sorry for swearing on this forum) for keys, phone, inner tube etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Find a jersey that does not look too bad and use any shame as an incentive to fit in a smaller jersey.

Personally, as a cyclist, I have more respect for a larger person wearing the right stuff and making a good effort than someone trying to hide it.

I run too and feel the same about overweight runners.
    Speaking of running, thats the way to go if you want to lose some weight ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you put your kit into something like plastic sandwich bags - they'll slide into your saddle pack a lot easier.

And wear a bike jersey - they're just very practical.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    As othes already mentioned, spare tube, multitool, tyre levers, phone (mobile phone), keys, CO2 cartridges and adapter, and some cash easily fit under the saddle. The jersey pockets are supposed to carry stuff that you need during cycling, so mostly food.

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Topeak aero wedge - another vote for them

I got a medium one and it comfortably carries 2 tubes, levers, multitool and patches with space to spare for small wallet and keys. That leaves food, rain jacket and iphone in jersey pockets.

As for jerseys with pockets. They are most useful and come in a variety of fits, from relaxed to skin-tight, don't worry too much about them revealing a bit of belly, it'll not be around much longer if you're serious about cycling :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Octopus1
    Octopus1 Posts: 56
    Middle pocket of a three pocket jersey for me.

Lezyne caddy sack with 2 tubes, 2 co2, lnflator, patches, multitool, tyre levers and contact lenses plus cash and a card.

Keys and phone go in a wiggle phone case in the right pocket plus food and cleat covers.

Left pocket, gilet and arm warmers or waterproof depending om weather forecast.

Am i'm an ex big bloke so good luck with it, doesn't matter what you look like :)

For some of us saddlebags can rub against expensive bibs, hence why I don't use one.

Alternative is a converted waterbottle that can work if you don't need two bottles.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have a fairly small saddle bag, Specialized Dirt Bag:

40862.jpg

It holds:

Two tubes
    Three tyre levers
    Patches and sand paper
    A Blackburn Airstik Mini Pump
    A chain tool
    Spare chain links
    Multitool
    Markerpen
    Wallet with cash and cards
    Keys
    A basic cable lock

As others have said it's amazing what you can fit if you play 3D Tetris in your bags.

If in fully cycling kit the phone goes in a zip pocket in the jersey, I considered an arm band or bar mount but figured pocekt is best, if in baggies it goes in the pocket.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you take a fall, you will land on whatever is in your rear pockets, so pack with care.
    Larger saddlebags seem the obvious answer. Carradice make some that are large enough for several ginsters.
  • awginger
    Thanks for all the replies ladies and gents!

I think I will pack my small saddle bag and see what I can force in there! Failing that I like the idea of the container that goes into one of the bottle cages, but guess that will not be so great when I start doing longer rides and need to take more fluid with me.
  • +1 for the Decathlon tool bottle. I just stop and refill my water bottle on longer rides if needs be.

If you're using the tool bottle make sure it's full, or fill up the gaps with latex gloves or something. Otherwise stuff will rattle around in there and drive you insane.
  • awginger
    +1 for the Decathlon tool bottle. I just stop and refill my water bottle on longer rides if needs be.

If you're using the tool bottle make sure it's full, or fill up the gaps with latex gloves or something. Otherwise stuff will rattle around in there and drive you insane.
    Cheers for the advice! Will put my rope and murderer gloves in there in case I get cut up by a car whilst riding.... :twisted:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    how about a runners bum bag or arm pouch?

also i use an old water bottle to keep stuff in, i guess its much the same as the one from decathlon. not so good for longer rides if you want two water bottles though
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Tool bidon and jersey. That is all.

If your stuff doesn't fit in these, you have too much stuff.