Boston Big Picture TdF 2013

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Its that time of the year again and another collection of wonderful photos. What a beautiful sport.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/0 ... ion_p.html
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Love this every year...cheers
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    A good find Frenchie, nice one.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    They are great, but the caption for number 32 is a bit weird!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/0 ... ml#photo32
    Sergio Henao, right, of Columbia looks on as riders gather themselves after a crash during stage seven of the Tour de France, a 205.5KM road stage from Montpellier to Albi, on July 5 in Montpellier, France. (Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

That says "Stannard" not "Henao" on his jersey and helmet. That's a Union Jack, not a Colombian flag. Sergio Henao isn't riding the Tour...
  • frenchfighter
    Haha yeah I saw that and thought it was a very clear mistake!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    They were probably looking at the Giro start list...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    bp12.jpg

Given all the other photographers who would want the spot (and the finish line equipment being there), how do you manage to get your camera so close to the finishing line?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Might be like in football where they have them on a tripod behind the goal and operate it remotely?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Not as good as previous years I think. Still good though.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/category/photo-galleries/ will have a really good one soon ;)
    cartoon.jpg
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Might be like in football where they have them on a tripod behind the goal and operate it remotely?

That's what I thought the set up would be too. But a football goal is a big thing, so lots of cameras in there. A finish line is only a couple of cms wide, so you must be pulling some strings for your camera to be in the right place and not anyone else's.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    hammerite wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

That's what I thought the set up would be too. But a football goal is a big thing, so lots of cameras in there. A finish line is only a couple of cms wide, so you must be pulling some strings for your camera to be in the right place and not anyone else's.

At National RR a couple of weekends ago there were 2 or 3 large cameras clamped onto the barriers just after the finish line, 1 of which gave this shot

BNc8Q9RCUAA-Y6e.jpg:large

No idea how it was controlled, but I remember seeing several photos from it about an hour after the race. Can't remember which site tho.

I'd imagine of you're a press guy & tuck your camera in the right place, without it interfering then no-one will be too concerned.
  • frenchfighter
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Ta

21: Specialized fan doesn't like Pinarellos?
    29: Ouch, really feel for Bauer. A really touching picture...