Disappointed with new Shimano brakes

2»

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    As a complete guess, I'd say the pads were probably getting harder whilst not being used. Might be worth giving them a spray with muc off brake cleaner every week whilst they aren't being used to keep them from hardening/glazing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A complete guess sounds about right and totally wrong.....

Glazing happens when they get too hot and cool quickly.

Sounds contaminated and the contaminant is coming back to the surface while the bike is standing (or is due to post ride maintenance)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    PRM is the same as its always been , only difference is that ive never left them standing this long before. Re the session, I didn't even need to clean it after last ride, went from dry dusty trails to back of car to under sheet.

Will see if it happens again.
  • PRM?
    I took the bike out last night and all I did was swap the pads front and rear (having cleaned the front ones which were the worst). They seemed to work really well so...meh. Dunno. Not broke now so...leaving alone!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Post Ride Maintenance I am guesisng.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    benpinnick wrote:
    Post Ride Maintenance
    I... I still don't understand what that means :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    benpinnick wrote:
    Post Ride Maintenance
    I... I still don't understand what that means :lol:
    aka drink beer. Better?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Oh, I see.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    benpinnick wrote:
    Post Ride Maintenance I am guesisng.

Yep, was typing the reply on my samsung pad/tab whatever and sometimes it comes so close to being smashed against the wall when typing, that I was trying to keep it short....
  • What was the solution to this?

Ive just had the local bikeshop fit .a new Deore front brake to my 2013 Rockhopper and I am not impressed. I am using the original rotors.

The Avids on my giant and standard Shimanos on my wifes Cannondale are way superior to my new Deore - they just dont stop well, completely lack stopping power when moving at pace.

So, what did you do to solve your problem?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    they need to bed into the used rotors.
  • you haven't been GT85ing anywhere near the brakes have you? that will contaminate if you aren't completely anal about it
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • I had a 2012 deore on the rear of my trials bike, and with standard shimano resin pads I could not get it to bed in. Changed the pads to ashima organic pads, cleaned the rotor, problem solved. Didnt even need the water bedding in procedure. Massive bite and power, on par with an m810 saint. I think the standard shimano pads are cack, and need to be changed.

To the original poster, if you have bled the brake with the pads in, this is where the contamination will have come from. It doesn't take much, and its near impossible to see when you are concentrating on getting a decent bleed. New pads chief. Goodridge sintered are the best pads I've ever had.
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • Problem solved. The bike shop who fitted the new Reba fork and new Deore brake used the caliper mount that came with the bike. However, the caliper mounts on the Rebas were the opposite way around - long mount at the top, so effectively only a third of the pads were touching the discs, hence no stopping power.

I asked some friends who they take their bikes to for servicing and they recommended http://www.badassbikes.co.uk/ (if you're in work - turn your sound off when you click the link - a video tour of the shop starts)
    so I popped in there and they diagnosed the problem in 2 minutes and had it fixed in 5 (they fitted a Shimano Disc Brake Mount adapter - ticks on the box are "p/p", "front", "180"). Have booked my Giant in there for a full service now - recommended.

Brakes are fabulous as expected now, so if they are going to get better when they bed in - :D
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Rich_H wrote:
    Problem solved. The bike shop who fitted the new Reba fork and new Deore brake used the caliper mount that came with the bike. However, the caliper mounts on the Rebas were the opposite way around - long mount at the top, so effectively only a third of the pads were touching the discs, hence no stopping power.

I asked some friends who they take their bikes to for servicing and they recommended http://www.badassbikes.co.uk/ (if you're in work - turn your sound off when you click the link - a video tour of the shop starts)
    so I popped in there and they diagnosed the problem in 2 minutes and had it fixed in 5 (they fitted a Shimano Disc Brake Mount adapter - ticks on the box are "p/p", "front", "180"). Have booked my Giant in there for a full service now - recommended.

Brakes are fabulous as expected now, so if they are going to get better when they bed in - :D

That's good to hear my wife's bike has the same slx brakes and they are really good :)
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Rich_H wrote:
    Problem solved. The bike shop who fitted the new Reba fork and new Deore brake used the caliper mount that came with the bike. However, the caliper mounts on the Rebas were the opposite way around - long mount at the top, so effectively only a third of the pads were touching the discs, hence no stopping power.

That's horrific that is. No excuse (IMO) for letting a bike go out like that.
  • Aye. And, to be clear, 'un-named shop A - the BAD guys' made the mistake, 'Badassbikes - the GOOD guys' (completely different shop) identified it and fixed it.

Collected my Giant from Badassbikes today as they have serviced it. Its been washed, new crownrace bearing, near rear gear cable, wheels trued and various bits steam-cleaned. They even shortened the RLT fork cable so it performs better. Almost seems a shame to get the bike dirty again - I cant wait. :lol: