Rockshox MoCo and remotes

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

been looking into the above and from the information I've found it appears that having the handlebar-mounted remote actually reduces the functionality of the MoCo device (essentially turning it into a digital on/off situation, whereas with the crown-mounted lever you have the option of fine-tuning the compression damping to anywhere in between).

Have I got this right? I understand that the MoCo units sold with remotes can be adapted to just have a crown-mounted lever, but if I was in a position where I needed a new unit anyway, would purchasing a non-remote version give me more tunability?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Have I got this right?

Yes.
    would purchasing a non-remote version give me more tunability?

Not unless you changed to a version that had more adjustment, e.g. a Reba RL with remote will have the same level of adjustment as a stsndard Reba RL if you remove the remote.

Personally, I think it's worthwhile removing the remotes for the added adjustment. Also, remotes are pretty pointless imo; the kind of thing that was probably invented just to draw in more roadies to MTB ("Oh my God, the suspension bobs and sucks up all the energy! How do I turn it off with the least amount of effort!?!?")
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to sum up. yes the remote is lock out or where you have the dial when the lock out is released. Sonic did a mod with an old friction thumb shifter to give more adjustability.

the versions without the lock out option use a friction controlled dial on the fork leg allowing for adjustment of the compression.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    Thanks both for the responses - very helpful
    nicklouse wrote:
    Sonic did a mod with an old friction thumb shifter to give more adjustability.

Interesting you should say that - it had occurred to me that that could be a possible way of getting continuous adjustment at handlebar level. Was going to check the cable "travel" of an old shifter I've got lieing around (I believe you need 17mm for the full range on a MoCo?)
  • jimothy78
    Yep - that's the sort of thing I've got somewhere - pulled off my wife's old 90s raleigh camaro.
    Did the shifter take up the right sort of amount of cable?
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    nicklouse wrote:
    to sum up. yes the remote is lock out or where you have the dial when the lock out is released. Sonic did a mod with an old friction thumb shifter to give more adjustability.

the versions without the lock out option use a friction controlled dial on the fork leg allowing for adjustment of the compression.

thanks, that answered my question also :D

Dan