My Canyon Nerve AM Build Thread

ali4390
ali4390 Posts: 106
edited October 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I currently ride a Carrera Kraken that I bought a couple of years ago to get fit. I took it to a trail centre, got hooked on riding and have spent far too much money upgrading the bike. I've been after a full suspension bike for some time and always fancied a Canyon but for one reason or another have never bought one. Until now.

I have just purchased a used Canyon Nerve AM frame which I am going to build up into my dream bike. Normally this would be nothing special, however, I have no idea what I'm doing :shock: ! This could be fun...

The Carrera currently has Rockshox Revelations and Stans Crest rims on Switch Evo hubs, both of which will be going on the new build. Pretty much everything else will be purchased second hand. I will be asking a lot of questions with regards to components - I have a rough idea in my of what I would like the finished build to be like, but don't know enough about things like cranks to know what to go for or even what's compatible. But surely this is the best way to learn, right?! :lol:

Will get some pictures up when the frame is delivered later this week.

Comments

• Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    You have spent a lot upgrading ;)

I'll look forward to the pics...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • ali4390
    So here is the frame that I've bought (seller's picture):

CanyonFrame_zps822b428b.jpg

The wheels that will be going on initially:

Stans-offer-new.jpg

I haven't got a picutre of the forks but safe to say they look like every other pair of Rochshox Revs.

I'm currently leaning towards something like a XT M785 crank, budget depending, and some sort of Shimano XT or SLX brakes. I'm torn as to whether to swap the other bits such as the bar and stem from the current ride or to upgrade to better parts.

DSC_0191_zps7ad29d8b.jpg

I have not thought about shifters etc yet.

Any advice will be appreciated.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What is the travel on your Revs?
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    I saw that frame on pink bike it looks in excellent condition.Do your revs have a tapered steerer? if not you will need to buy a adaptor crown race washer for the canyons lower headset bearing. I think superstar still do them.
  • ali4390
    mcnultycop wrote:
    What is the travel on your Revs?
    140mm
    @lexD wrote:
    I saw that frame on pink bike it looks in excellent condition.Do your revs have a tapered steerer? if not you will need to buy a adaptor crown race washer for the canyons lower headset bearing. I think superstar still do them.
    I don't know so I'll have to check. It's the little things like that that I don't know enough about and am hoping to learn as I go along with the build.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ha! This could get expensive :wink:

Are you wanting to end up with two bikes?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ali4390
    :lol: Inevitably it will but as long as I learn as I go I'm not too fussed. I know I could buy a full bike from Canyon for less money than I'll end up putting into this but where's the fun in that?!
  • ali4390
    I've been trying to decide on brakes, so....

I was originally looking at Deore M596 which can be bought for about £85 new. However I've just found SLX M675 for £120, and in my infinite wisdom ( :roll: ), would I be correct in thinking these would seem like a better option?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Not a huge difference between them tbh, both are great brakes. Personally I'd rather go Deore brakes and use the money saved towards a dropper post on a bike like that. Should be a good build!
  • ali4390
    Dropper post is a definite yes for this build!

So, below are some thoughts I have had on components, opinions would be appreciated:

Drivetrain
    Shimano Deore XT M785 10 Speed Double Crankset Black 38-26
    Shimano XT M770 10 Speed Trigger Shifter Front & Rear
    Shimano SLX M675 10 Speed Shadow+ Rear Derailleur

Front mech, cassette, chain and BB will all be taken from the current bike or come with the frame.

Brakes
    Shimano Deore M596 Disc Brake Front and Rear
    Not sure on which rotors to go for but will probably go for 203mm and 160mm, front and rear.
    Think I will need an apdator for the front rotor which will come from Superstar probably.

These are the things I would like to sort first, I can adjust the list as neccessary and add as I go along.
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    Drivetrain
    Shimano Deore XT M785 10 Speed Double Crankset *Black 38-26
    *Have a think about getting the silver version of the crank, or just go SLX (practically the same) the black version looks tack after a few rides as the paint rubs off super quick :cry:
    Shimano XT M770 10 Speed Trigger Shifter Front & Rear
    Shimano SLX M675 10 Speed Shadow+ Rear Derailleur
    Front mech, cassette, chain and BB will all be taken from the current bike or come with the frame.

You may run into a bit of a (skipping) issue mixing new and old drivetrain parts (depending on the wear of the existing components) just an heads up!

Unless you're a proper big lad, I'd be more than happy to stick with a 180mm front rotor - My M596's stop me on a six pence without trying and I'm not exactly lightweight myself :lol:

As others have mentioned, save the extra outlay and put towards the dropper post - Much better use of funds :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Definitely only a 180mm rotor on the front, I know a few guys running deore brakes on full on DH bikes with 203mm rotors!!

I only run 180/160mm on my bikes and have more than enough power with my xt brakes, and the deores are just as powerful. superb brakes for the money!
  • jonsiuk
    jonsiuk Posts: 7
    Got this myself the other week, buying parts as and when I can afford them. Hoping to have it ready for the Coed y Brenin Enduro in October.

Nerve XC 2012 Medium Frame
    255036_10152085219394762_790250808_n.jpg
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    nice looking frame and it will be fun to build - I've just done the same.

I went for SLX M670 cranks as they have the same BB as the XT but are cheaper with only a tiny weight penalty. SLX brakes again are a great deal compared to XT heck even deore M596s are great (90 a pair) with a set of ice tech rotors. as far as bar and stem, I kept mine from the previous bike as they still suit my riding position on the new build plus upgrading would have cost a lot for only a few grams in weight. I changed from 8 to 9 speed since I needed to change chain for new bike so needed to get a new cassette anyway so only spent a few extra bob for a RH X7 shifter.
    ali4390 wrote:
    I'm currently leaning towards something like a XT M785 crank, budget depending, and some sort of Shimano XT or SLX brakes. I'm torn as to whether to swap the other bits such as the bar and stem from the current ride or to upgrade to better parts.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    was the frame bought from a guy in Bristol? it looks like the same pic, I ummmed an ahhed as to whether to buy it or not.

enjoy :D
  • jonsiuk
    POAH wrote:
    nice looking frame and it will be fun to build - I've just done the same.

I went for SLX M670 cranks as they have the same BB as the XT but are cheaper with only a tiny weight penalty. SLX brakes again are a great deal compared to XT heck even deore M596s are great (90 a pair) with a set of ice tech rotors. as far as bar and stem, I kept mine from the previous bike as they still suit my riding position on the new build plus upgrading would have cost a lot for only a few grams in weight. I changed from 8 to 9 speed since I needed to change chain for new bike so needed to get a new cassette anyway so only spent a few extra bob for a RH X7 shifter.

Do you have any recommendation for a headset? Want to make sure a find a compatible one but also not ridiculously expensive.

I'm going to pretty much go SLX all over I think, might be going 2x10.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    went for a da bomb depth charge reducer as my forks are 1 1/8s and the headtube is tapered.
  • jonsiuk
    I'm not 100% on the headset, want to make sure I get one that will fit and is not totally rubbish.

I was looking at this Nukeproof Warhead 44-56IITS (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=92336) to go on a ROCK SHOX Reba RL Dual Air 120 Tapered.

Would be interested in any suggestions.
  • ali4390
    So the build will be complete this weekend. It's been a long time coming as I've been stuck in Essex and the frame has been at my parents in Derby but this has allowed me to get hold of all the parts etc.

I'll get pics at the weekend but the spec will be as follows:

Frame: 2011 Canyon Nerve AM - Medium
    Forks: 2013 X Fusion Velvets - 140mm
    Bars: Easton Haven
    Stem: Easton Haven - 85mm
    Headset: Came with frame
    Grips: Superstar Supagripa
    Brakes: Shimano Deore M596
    Rotors: Superstar 180/160mm rotors
    Seat: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Reverb
    Seat Post Clamp: Canyon
    Shifter/Rear Mech/Cranks/Chainring/Chain/Cassette - 2x10 with a mixture of mainly SLX parts. Purchased off a friend's Dad for the grand total of £70 and most of it is only a few rides old so chuffed with that!
    Pedals: Superstar Ultra Mag CNC
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT BB70
    Wheels: StanCrest on Switch Evo hubs
    Front Tyre: Maxxis High Roller
    Rear Tyre: Maxxis High Roller

First ride will be Saturday afternoon at Cannock and I can't wait to compare the ride with my old HT. Pics as soon as I have some.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Looks similar to my recent build mate
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12942272
  • ali4390
    I was looking at your build yesterday, it looks really smart mate!

Mine will finally be finished tomorrow and I cannot wait for the first ride. Today is going to be a long one!
  • ali4390
    So the Canyon is finally finished and I love it. I've only had a chance to take it for a quick spin round the village today, partly because it wasn't finished till late this afternoon and partly because I've had the hangover from hell today. First impressions are great though and I'm looking forward to Cannock tomorrow.

A couple of iPhone pics for now:

image_zpsf982f5fe.jpg

image_zps6532d3b1.jpg
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Looks awesome!

Hopefully I'll be trying my new bike out down Cannock tomorrow as well! I'll keep an eye out!
  • ali4390
    Thanks mate

Say hello if you see me about, always good to meet other forum members.
  • ali4390
    Well the first ride was today and I am in love with this bike. It is a dream to ride, absolutely flies on the downs and easy to pedal on the ups. Cannock was very wet and therefore there wasn't a lot of grip this morning but the bike coped pretty well, I can't wait to see how it goes in the dry!

image_zps82ca2829.jpg
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Looks really good mate, they do climb well don't they given their slightly chunky weight