Airwave MTB Tubes

diy
diy Posts: 6,473
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Has anyone else had problems with the multi packs tubes? I'm on my second box and just thought I was unlucky with punctures. On the new box, I have already used up 4 in two weeks. I've even changed the tyres and replaced the rim tape thinking it was this. On closer inspection the tubes have tiny imperfections that result in easy splitting and holes. Out of my box of 10 I have 2 where the valves have blown off at the tube, 2 which have had tiny pin-like holes develop due to nicks in the rubber. I may be unlucky, so am wondering what other peoples experiences were?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have used them and they seemed okay but felt a bit flimsy and one did rip at the valve. Currently got some Raleigh ones that seem fine.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    40% failure rate is too much, I'd ask for a refund. At least the manufacturers should be told, they may want to improve QA.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    been using them in 3 bikes (1 DH bike) for 2 seasons. No issues. Sounds like a bad batch...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I agree with Felix, ive been using them on my trainer bike for a while with no problems cant see it being anything more than a duff batch.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Bought these tubes around 6 months ago and had the same problem, went in the bin, so clearly not a bad batch
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    diy wrote:
    I have already used up 4 in two weeks.
    I don't understand. how do you "use up" a tube?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I had problems with all of the ones I used, they would just split very randomly and normally pretty quickly. Now using Continental's as they're just as cheap really on the german sites and have no such problems any more. This was probably about 2 years ago now so doubt it's a bad batch, just bad tubes.
  • diy
    I've ordered some conti's and some wider rim tape just in case (seems 25mm 26" tape is hard to find now). I have a big 12 hour ride coming up, so I need something that is reasonable, but not too heavy. At the moment I have some patched up old kenda's which are holding fine. I usually run them slightly harder on longer rides, so I think its a combination of poor quality tubes and higher pressure. They always seem to go on the inside close to the seem, so don't think its punctures.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I bought 5 airwaves - got one in now and has been since May - no issues - it is either where you ride or the way you ride. Fact. I have been watching.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I bought 5 airwaves - got one in now and has been since May - no issues - it is either where you ride or the way you ride. Fact. I have been watching.

Oh well there we go everybody else is obviously wrong and equally we all must be riding the same routes and riding the same way so we stand corrected by the expert on the towpath
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • YeehaaMcgee
    He's been watching you, he knows.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He's been watching you, he knows.
    He does. I know. I have been watching him.
    As I watch over all my flock.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    Stu Coops wrote:

Oh well there we go everybody else is obviously wrong and equally we all must be riding the same routes and riding the same way so we stand corrected by the expert on the towpath

As I say its Where you ride or How you ride - maybe you are riding rocky super gnar trails or maybe you are using your brakes a lot on rocky trails and puncturing because you are a hamfisted idiot. I dont know - all I know is I have used the airwaves this summer last summer and previously and not had any issues with them - they puncture occassionally same as any others.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A puncture due to an object coming through is different to a 'puncture' due to a failure at a defect though......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    I'm running XC race tyres which doesn't help but 2 of these tubes never made it to the "trails" and the other lasted 6-10 miles and split on the inside. As said I think they can't take the higher pressure (40psi) that I run. The cheapos that replaced them lasted the next 50 miles on the same ride.
  • paul.skibum
    The irony - punctured one yesterday but only when fitting a new tyre and catching it with the tyre lever!
  • diy
    Tyre levers? Whats wrong with your fingers?

I can't remember the last time I needed tyre levers for the mtb.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Especially to put a tyre on the rim.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    diy wrote:
    Tyre levers? Whats wrong with your fingers?

I can't remember the last time I needed tyre levers for the mtb.

I didn't need them to fit my new folding XR3s the other day, but I definitely needed them to get the OE wire bead Contis off first. They put up a right fight, even snapped one tyre lever.
  • diy
    just need to centre the bead in the rim before snapping the last section over. Also if using a lever make sure the bead is at the edge of the rim before putting too much leverage on otherwise it snaps. A bit of air in the tube helps avoid a pinch.