Col de l'Iseran and the Plan du Lac

russell_in_france
russell_in_france Posts: 124
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Photos - https://plus.google.com/photos/111059783111780167010/albums/5897546066333301809?banner=pwa

With a predicted 32 degrees in Grenoble this weekend, it was a good time to get into the mountains. I took the car and drove the 100 miles to Termignon, 1,300 metres in altitude, for a ride that would take me over three climbs with the Col de l'Iseran twice and up to the Plan du Lac. Termignon is further along the Maurienne valley from St Michel de Maurienne (bottom of Galibier) and Modane.

Leaving Termignon, the ride took me along the valley and through Lanslebourg and on to Bonneval-sur-Arc before the road ramps up and the Col de l’Iseran begins properly at around 1,800 metres in altitude. The green valley turned into a rocky mountainside before snow dominated the mountainsides in the last two kilometres to the Iseran. The benefit of riding early in the morning is that road is empty, the light is nice and the marmottes were out in force, often running in the road in front of me. As I approached the Col, I could see that the ski slope near the road was busy with morning skiers. It’s funny to be cycling in short sleeve top and seeing skiers in the distance.

The views from the 2,770 metre Col were stunning and I dropped down to Val d’Isere and took the time for a bakery stop before climbing the north side of the Col de l’Iseran. The road I’d just descended. The gradients are a little easier than the south side, and the views are arguably more spectacular with numerous sharp mountain peaks dominating the skyline. It’s also impressive to look down over Val d’Isere and see the village getting smaller as you climb.

My final climb was to the Plan du Lac, a 14 kilometre ascent up a one way road into the mountains above Termignon. I’d seen this road zig-zagging up the mountainside when pouring over maps during the winter months, with a 1000 metre climb starting at 1,300 metres and climbing to 2,360 metres.

I really suffered on this climb in the midday sun as it was 9% for the first eight kilometres. It felt steep from the bottom with no shade and no wind in the forest. After eight kilometres, the trees do disappear and the mountain views are stunning with the 3,600 metre Dent Parrachée dominating the view. The gradient seemed to ease as well. I had hoped to fill my water bottle at the hamlet of La Chaviere, that was marked on the map, but all the houses were derelict and there was no fountain to be found.

Motor vehicles are required to stop at the car park at Bellecombe at about 2,300 metres, but as I cyclist I could continue another kilometre to the plateau, past the small lake and to the refuge. The terrace offers a stunning panorama of 3,000 metre mountains in all directions.

In total, 141 kilometres with 3,700 metres of climbing.

Russell
www.grenoblecycling.com

Video Diary - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp9YCpT7NN0
Strava Map and Profile - http://app.strava.com/activities/65119308

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Nice photos 8)
    Had the pleasure of cycling in the Alps in May - beautiful roads, bakery stops, coffee. Not jealous at all.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Marik
    Marik Posts: 40
    Great pics, thanks!
    Did Plan du Lac over a week ago, and had similar experience on main climb through the trees, desperate heat & swarms of flies following your every move, but so worth it when the route opens up. Refuge serves great & well priced lunches. Worth continuing down the other side for the remaining few kilometres, just being aware of some clumps of loose gravel (and melting tar) on the fairly steep corners. Utterly Beautiful.