Would this chainset fit?

Motley13
Motley13 Posts: 89
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My question basically is, would this chainset fit my bike??

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CSOOSS/on_o ... d_chainset

I have a Trek Ticket 20 which im currently turning into a single speed as i only use it to get to and from work sio have no need for gears and thought it would be abit of fun to have a singlespeed to. I want a 42t chainring up front and this one seems like good value. So basically would it fit and be okay on my bike? If not does anyone know any decent 42t chainrings for a mountain bike?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    might. it depends on your BB. but why not just take your rings off and fit what size you want in the middle position?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Motley13
    Motley13 Posts: 89
    I will admit i am still new with the whole fixing bikes and playing about like this so i wouldnt know how to do that if im honest. Is it easy or not??
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on parktools then look at your bike.

not really any difference to fitting a new cranks set if your BB is correct.

special tools still needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Motley13 wrote:
    I will admit i am still new with the whole fixing bikes and playing about like this so i wouldnt know how to do that if im honest. Is it easy or not??
    It would think it will be easier to remove the old and fit new chain ring than remove the whole chain set. Good deal cheaper too.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The chainset you have linked is a road chainset, designed for a 68mm bottom bracket shell width and a 42mm chainline whereas most MTBs use 73mm BB shells and 47mm chainline. Even if the BB shell was the right width, it's likely that the chainring will hit the chainstay as most MTBs are designed for a smaller middle ring. As suggested, why not just fit a suitable chainring to your current cranks - if you want a 42 then you'll be best fitting it in the outer position.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..