continental travel contacts - how off road?

kalioon
kalioon Posts: 59
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
just ordered some travel contacts for my commute, got rather fed up with all the broken glass and how many times i needed to fix punctures. Im now going off road, and have no idea how they will cope, if i fit them. Im currently running the ones thatcame on my rockhopper. So can i run these off road with no issues, or should i stick to my stock spesh ones?

Comments

• Continental website says they are up to it , depends how extreme.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what off road is. Fire roads, gentle trails, massive rocky downhills?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • No good on rocks, but my mate (who was too lazy to swap them last year), went through some of the worst mud that Northumbria could throw at him.
    That said, he did have to carry the bike occassionally and fell frequently.

But fine for woodland trails in the current climate.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Dub L
    Dub L Posts: 62
    I have them on my bike 90% of the time. They are fast rolling on road and handle light off road a lot better than I was expecting. I wouldn't take them to a trail centre, mind you. Cornering on gravel can be a bit hairy too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very few tyres work well on gravel though...and those that do are mostly useless elsewhere!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dub L
    Dub L Posts: 62
    Very few tyres work well on gravel though...and those that do are mostly useless elsewhere!
    Very true.