Hero/Helmet/Bar camera

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Without getting all speccy geekky about this does this and that what camera is up there to have and use,
I keep getting told the GoPro is the Daddy, but IMO lookswise they look abit Jonny 5 from short Circuit with them on your head :lol: but if they win over a bullet cam then so be it.
I am after a decent quality photo and video, good battery life and memory, preferable with a remote I can put on the bar so can record/take photo and stop easy enough, and most important, be damned easy to use, set up and get on with.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can't be arsed with cameras, but look at all the action stuff on Top Gear, Gadget Show etc - all seem to use Go Pro, so presumably they do the job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited July 2013
    A mate uses cameras on his race car and over the years i've seen various evolutions of cameras the GoPro may not look much but quality of the recording is stunning, if I ever needed one it would be my first choice.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Graham K wrote:
    I keep getting told the GoPro is the Daddy,

That's 'cos they are, plus they offer by far the best and most varied range of foolproof mounting options.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got the GoPro Hero 3 White Edition. Its really very good. Great quality video and pics. Good battery life. Nicely made and you can use a smart phone as a remote control.
    Dont use bar mounts, too shaky. Better to use a chest or helmet mount.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Graham K wrote:
    I keep getting told the GoPro is the Daddy,

That's 'cos they are, plus they offer by far the best and most varied range of foolproof mounting options.
    GoPros get used everywhere because they spend big advertising bucks to make sure they ARE used everywhere.
    To be honest, they ARE good, but don't be fooled into thinking there's any meaningful difference between any of the top cameras. And they all still suck in low light.

I reckon the mounting options for the Contour cameras are in a different league to anything else though, far less bulky, no need for waterproofing and so on.
  • I was torn between a gopro and a contour, the main reason I went with a gopro is the chest mount, I think it's by far the best place to mount a camera, but it's not really suited to a bullet cam.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Fair point, the chest mount GoPro is great for MTB use.
  • Kowalski675
    The suction cup mount's great for car/motorcycle use. Mucho convenient ease of use.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The suction cup mount's great for car/motorcycle use. Mucho convenient ease of use.
    Meh, those kinds of mounts can be found for all the others, but the Contour doesn't need a dumbass casing around the camera to do, well, anything with it.
  • Kowalski675
    Meh, those kinds of mounts can be found for all the others,

But the GoPro comes with it, and it's rock solid, unlike some (I've tested mine to around 130mph, mounted horizontally out in the breeze). Other cameras can compare on image quality, but none compare for ease and variety of mounting in a plethora of different situations. The waterproof impact protection of the casing's an added bonus.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    None of the GoPros we've had in our rag-tag bunch ever came with a suction cup mount.
  • Kowalski675
    Depends which version you bought - mine was the motorsport kit, suction mount included.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Right. And how is that different from any other camera that has an option of a suction cup mount?
    I know for a fact you can get a Contour with a suction cup mount. But not all of them come with it.
  • Kowalski675
    Whatever.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    To clarify, you reckon that one advantage of a GoPro, is that you can get the same kind of mount for it, as you can for most other cameras.
    Yeah, whatever.
  • Kowalski675
    To clarify, life's too short for arguing on the internet with know-it-all self appointed experts...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You're right, I should never have responded to you.
    I apologise. To myself.
  • Kowalski675
    Yawn.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    After looking in to a few different options I'm going for a go pro, chest mounted for MTB, helmet mount for road. Go pros seem to be pretty versatile to be fair.
  • Graham K
    Ordered a GoPro3 through Group on, 25% off was not to be sniffed at,
    Awaiting delivery :D
  • Paul 8v
    Graham K wrote:
    Damn, when were they on group on?
  • Graham K
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Graham K wrote:

I saw it on Sunday.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh poo. I'm a big fan of Contour cams, with their water resistant bodies, and low profile mounts, and buffoon-proof controls.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Graham K wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Graham K wrote:

I saw it on Sunday.

I got one from Surf Dome last week. Should be at home waiting for me! It was thew cheapest I could find in Europe, but if you want to take the risk there are plenty of Hong Kong type places that are dirt cheap...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    In my experience it's just not worth it getting cheap stuff from the far east, I know others have been luckier but it's not worth the risk on something as expensive as a gopro.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I use a decathlon g-eye, which can avail of all the go pro mounting options including the chest mount. it's only 720p but also only £79. Plus it comes with a frikking lazer
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm. The Contour Roam cameras can be had for as little as £115, which isn't that much more than the Decathlon.
    What's the quality of the Decathlon camera like?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Couple of test videos here, personally I'm happy enough with it. The colour is a bit wishy washy in poor light and you can get some blurring at times. If the contour is waterproof out of the box then the decathlon is even less of a bargain in comparison, as it needs the 25 quid waterproof case. Although I've used it without it on sunny days.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500