SRAM WiFl?

stueys
stueys Posts: 1,332
edited July 2013 in Road general
Passed a guy on the etape riding wifli, the casette was massive :o Anyone tried it? Have to say it didn't seem to be doing much for the guy's climbing.

Surely once you get past a compact 28 you are trading too much forward momentum for reduced effort?

Comments

• andyfla
    andyfla Posts: 6
    I used one last year for the haute route and loved it , made a real diff to drop from a 28 to a 32

Maybe just me but I was bloody thankful I had it (12% at the top of the Madeleine was bad enough as it was)
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    You get a wider range of gears as you still get an 11 tooth cog so you could still use a double if you want. Wouldn't personally use it with a compact unless I was doing some sort of crazy alpine ride.
    Just remember, many pros use it so it can't be useless.
  • andyfla
    andyfla Posts: 6
    I was using a compact so able to run 34 x 32, but would bother in the uk, unless it was the Fred Whitton
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Some pros use a 34x34. It's all about keeping the cadence up.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Just use 53/39 with 11/25 on the back and MTFU...that being said I'd stick a 27 on there if I was in the mountains ;)
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    DavidJB wrote:
    Just use 53/39 with 11/25 on the back and MTFU...that being said I'd stick a 27 on there if I was in the mountains ;)

Obviously you are very inexperienced and/or have never ridden up a mountain. Whilst in the UK, for most purposes a 39x23 or 25 is adequate, in proper mountains ie climbs that are going to take at least half an hour its all about keeping the cadence up and remaining comfortable you can only really do that repeatedly with at least a 28 or preferably a 32.

When I lived in the Uk I rode round on a 39x25 for years but now I live in a mountainous area (Portugal) I run 34x11-32 and use the 32 at some point during most rides. Yes you lose momentum, if you mean by that slow down, but hey that's what happens when you ride up a mountain! As an approximation if you ride a 32 your cadence has to be around 10rpm higher than on a 28 to maintain a similar speed.

I seem to recall that when Cobo won the Vuelta, the year that Brad cracked on the Angliru, Cobo was riding 34x36.
  • mpie
    mpie Posts: 81
    I swapped my usual 11-26 (Compact) for 11-32 for a trip up to Scotland recently and was very glad of it. It meant I could just spin up climbs like Bealach na Ba (and worse) and enjoy the experience rather than 'busting a gut'. It really depends on whether you are out there to 'ride' or 'race'.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    borisface wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Obviously you are very inexperienced and/or have never ridden up a mountain. Whilst in the UK, for most purposes a 39x23 or 25 is adequate, in proper mountains ie climbs that are going to take at least half an hour its all about keeping the cadence up and remaining comfortable you can only really do that repeatedly with at least a 28 or preferably a 32.

When I lived in the Uk I rode round on a 39x25 for years but now I live in a mountainous area (Portugal) I run 34x11-32 and use the 32 at some point during most rides. Yes you lose momentum, if you mean by that slow down, but hey that's what happens when you ride up a mountain! As an approximation if you ride a 32 your cadence has to be around 10rpm higher than on a 28 to maintain a similar speed.

I seem to recall that when Cobo won the Vuelta, the year that Brad cracked on the Angliru, Cobo was riding 34x36.

It was obviously a joke.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Maybe you should of put a cheeky winking smiley next to your post so we knew it was a Joke! Oh wait............
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • Each to their own but I've got APEX WiFli 11-32 with a Compact and its fab - spin and improve your CV fitness rather than grind and wear out your knees (but I'm 50 and 18 st!)
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    I think it has it's place. I live in Somerset, famous for being flat. However, I am well within the range of the Quantock hills, so rather than have only the choice of flat or walk, I chose a bike with Apex and that massive cassette. There's a 20% mile long hill I''ve unfinished business with that it's incredibly handy on. :)
  • Grill
    bazzer2 wrote:
    I think it has it's place. I live in Somerset, famous for being flat. However, I am well within the range of the Quantock hills, so rather than have only the choice of flat or walk, I chose a bike with Apex and that massive cassette. There's a 20% mile long hill I''ve unfinished business with that it's incredibly handy on. :)

Segment?
  • bazzer2
    Grill wrote:
    bazzer2 wrote:

Segment?
    http://app.strava.com/segments/3664117

http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.co.uk ... oombe.html
  • Grill
    Seems fine. If ever I'm in the area I'll give it a go.
  • bazzer2
    If you are in need of a guide / cheerleader, tap me up! ;)
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Sorry to divert the topic - but it is related. I recently bought a set of Wheelsmith Racelights from the classifieds here, the chap kindly left a cassette on. I looked at it and thought 'blimey, that's an MTB cassette' and whipped it off. It is indeed a SRAM 11-32.

I have thought it would be useful for a trip to the Lakes or Scotland. My question is, i normally run 11-26 (or 12-28 if i have the powertap wheel on). Do those of you that swap between cassettes and up to a 32 find you need to extend the chain by a link or two? I can swap between 26 & 28 without any adjustment.

Cheers,
  • Grill
    Unless you're running a wifli or medium/long cage mech you really need to swap the rear mech to the aforementioned.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Grill wrote:
    Unless you're running a wifli or medium/long cage mech you really need to swap the rear mech to the aforementioned.

Ah, OK. Thanks. S0d that then.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm not convinced to be honest. I get that it's lower and you can spin but surely if you're not fit enough to spin a compact 28 then you're going to struggle no matter what you're on? Doing 5mph up for 10 miles doesn't hold a great appeal.