Housing installation question (Picture)

Downgear
Downgear Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I installed all new cables and housing along with some other new parts for the first time and quickly recognized how important the correct housing length was.

Judging from the pictures do you think I made the rear derailleur housing too short? It seems to be ever so slightly crooked entering the derailleur. I was trying to make this piece as short as possible to minimize risk of catching on the trails. Should I cut a new slightly longer piece or is it fine? My main goal for this project is to make things as smooth as possible with my new set of XT shifters and derailleurs.

TQMkFL8.jpg

Comments

• Does it work?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    too short by about 2 inches.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Downgear
    Downgear Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, It does work however it feels a little bit stiff and I suspect I am getting some unnecessary drag.

As far as it being 2 whole inches longer...was I wrong in my research indicating that the newer generation XT derailleurs do not need that large loop?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok mat be an inch. but it looks like it will pull out on the smallest cog.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown