Fabio Casartelli

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Alan A wrote:
this yesterday passing the site of the death of Fabio Casartelli on Col de Portet d'Aspet.

This has been very quiet. I would have thought it would have be better remembered*

3579625010_08dff5b6c7.jpg

fabio_casartelli_3.jpg

5.%252520fabio%252520casartelli_bersepeda.jpg

* maybe it was - it haven't seen stage 9 yet. Seen no mention on here or on twitter.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    there was footage of Prudhomme laying flowers before the race passed
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Apologies. It seems the Tour has used that Col almost every year since 1995. Still...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    I think there was just so much going on in the race yesterday. I seem to recall the riders doing a bit of a tribute as they passed one year but could be wrong
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    It’s not a round number anniversary this year, so I doubt the Tour intentionally went that way for that specific reason.

When I went by there, I felt the memorial horribly kitsch; I thought the French had a better sense of art. I don’t know if the monument is close to where Casartelli hit the parapet post but the descent is pretty steep just there.

There are a couple of stories of then which I wonder about …
    … before the end of that stage, some in the peloton supposedly knew Casartelli had died. I find this very hard to believe. It was in the hospital at Tarbes 3 hours after his crash that he died and I doubt the news was immediately relayed to the riders, the first of whom arrived at the finish about 30 mins later.
    … Armstrong apparently said he’d financially support Casartelli’s family. I don’t know if he said this just to sound big, but the winning riders that day (Virenque was stage victor) donated all the money won that stage to a fund established for Casartelli’s family, and the Tour organisers later matched that amount.

I don’t know any statistics for how helmets may have helped in any crashes since, but I suppose if helmets have helped, Casartelli didn’t die in vain.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I remember this well, not nice at all but as you say, hopefully it encouraged more people to wear helmets.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    knedlicky wrote:
    It’s not a round number anniversary this year, so I doubt the Tour intentionally went that way for that specific reason.

When I went by there, I felt the memorial horribly kitsch; I thought the French had a better sense of art. I don’t know if the monument is close to where Casartelli hit the parapet post but the descent is pretty steep just there.

There are a couple of stories of then which I wonder about …
    … before the end of that stage, some in the peloton supposedly knew Casartelli had died. I find this very hard to believe. It was in the hospital at Tarbes 3 hours after his crash that he died and I doubt the news was immediately relayed to the riders, the first of whom arrived at the finish about 30 mins later.
    … Armstrong apparently said he’d financially support Casartelli’s family. I don’t know if he said this just to sound big, but the winning riders that day (Virenque was stage victor) donated all the money won that stage to a fund established for Casartelli’s family, and the Tour organisers later matched that amount.

I don’t know any statistics for how helmets may have helped in any crashes since, but I suppose if helmets have helped, Casartelli didn’t die in vain.

Taking your points in order:

-No nobody in the peloton or the teamcars knew until after the stage finish. The jersey presentations and everything were muted but the win was celebrated, as I recall.
    -Armstrong did indeed continue to support Casartelli's family. At least his widow and mother said he did in Pro Cycling a few years later.
    -I think the thinking at the time was that no helmet would have helped. The accident was, in terms of collision with the corner of a roadside marker stone, quite similar to Weylandt a few years later.

As to the riders memorial, Stuart O Grady and a few of the CSC guys on the front last time they passed kept the bunch together up the climb and did the hand on heart bit at a slow pace on the way past the memorial.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent