Cleats

Mr_Cellophane
Mr_Cellophane Posts: 690
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
What is the difference between Shimano SH51, SH52 and SH56 cleats, and how do I know which my Decathlon ones are ?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    51 and 56 are standard cleats, 51 is singles release (left-right), 56 is multi release (so pulling up also releases).52 is a weird cleat that only fits one pedal. If you have that one pedal I would be surprised. all the popular ones fit 51/56.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks.
    Why would you want cleats that release on "pull up" won't they keep releasing ?

So if I buy any Shimano pedals my existing cleats will fit ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks.

pedals come with cleats anyway.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Thanks.

pedals come with cleats anyway.

Two pairs of shoes. :P
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive never quite understood (or indeed tried) multi release cleats, but I guess that the pull up action must be somehow different from just pedalling! Your new pedals will come with SH51s, so get an extra set of those and you'll be good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197

Whereas the single release cleats need a definite sideways movement to unclip, the multi-release cleats unclip with a sideways-and-upwards movement. They don't unclip by pulling upwards.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The multi release are mainly meant for touring bikes that will get used on the road a lot. They do work off road I had some for a while not realising it and they worked okay but I did unclip a couple of times when I didnt want to. Fallen off a gazillion times in SPDs but never failed to unclip apart from once when snow had packed in and I had to undo my shoe to unclip with the help of a rock.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Thanks.
    Only if you pull up.
    [queue enormous debate (which I can't be bothered with) in 3,2,1...]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    enormous

That's etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740