Convert MTB for commuting or buy other?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Hoping you guys in here can help me, I am currently commuting to work on my mountain bike, I have fitted some road tyres to it but am wanting to put it back to being a mountain bike.

So I am trying to decide if I should get a road/hybrid bike or convert my old Carrera Kraken mountain bike by fitting the road tyres I am currently using and getting a set of ridged forks. The tyres I have are 26x1,80 but i am wondering if something like a road/hybird bike with 700c wheels would be better?

Comments

• stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    How far is the commute?
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Buy a new Hybrid AND a new Mountain Bike.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike, road bike etc...
  • As said before - how far (and over what type of route - roads, canal paths etc)?
    My 13 mile commute to work is easily doable of a MTB. I have even stuck in a couple of miles offraod to avoid the monotony of the road.
    Dependant on the distance I would just stick slicks on the bike.
    Otherwise I would look at a road bike (or a CX bike if there is light offroad sections).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    I got a hybrid and never regretted it. Tough enough for some light off road and far more efficient on the tarmac.

It can be done on an MTB but it's never as pleasant.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I converted a rigid MTB, basically turned it into a 26" wheeled hybrid, used it for a few years until it broke then I got a road bike. Ultimately if road cycling becomes a hobby you'll get a road bike eventually.

I'm currently toying with getting a hardtail MTB for winter so I don't have to put my road bike through the salt of the winther roads and can enjoy a bit of mud plugging as and excuse to get out on the wetter weekends.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I converted my Zaskar LE - is now about 20lbs, is very versatile, and very quick with clip on aero bars. Was about 3-400 quid all in.
  • iand-83
    The commute is around 5-6 miles each way depending which route I take but its all on road, though the quality of road is a bit dire! I am very tempted to fit slicks to my old mountain bike and a rigid fork and ride that into the ground. Though I might go test ride a road bike to see if I like them, not sure on the whole drop bar riding position.
  • My ride is about 4.2 miles e/w and I use my Rockhopper with knobbly tires and I think I get here quick enough. Some time ago I remember reading in an interview with Team UK and Raleigh MTB rider Barry Clarke that he rode to his day job on his MTB with knobblies as it was better training because it was harder and I kind of like that idea of getting a better workout. It also gives me the option to do some cycle path and a little section of off-road on the way home. Saying that, I'm in the process of building up an old Stumpjumper frame with a rigid fork and slicks for my commuting steed and I am thinking of getting a road bike for weekend rides besides the muddier side of life.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    My ride is about 4.2 miles e/w and I use my Rockhopper with knobbly tires and I think I get here quick enough. Some time ago I remember reading in an interview with Team UK and Raleigh MTB rider Barry Clarke that he rode to his day job on his MTB with knobblies as it was better training because it was harder and I kind of like that idea of getting a better workout. It also gives me the option to do some cycle path and a little section of off-road on the way home. Saying that, I'm in the process of building up an old Stumpjumper frame with a rigid fork and slicks for my commuting steed and I am thinking of getting a road bike for weekend rides besides the muddier side of life.

I sometimes ride my Rockrider to work on knobblies and it is utterly soul destroying, plus the drone of the tyres is like a squadron of Heinkels following you about. It does give a good workout, even if you have pretty limited grip on tarmac.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Iand-83 wrote:
    The commute is around 5-6 miles each way depending which route I take but its all on road, though the quality of road is a bit dire! I am very tempted to fit slicks to my old mountain bike and a rigid fork and ride that into the ground. Though I might go test ride a road bike to see if I like them, not sure on the whole drop bar riding position.

At that distance I would stick with the Carrera/solid forks & fit some road tyres, 26x1.50 should make it feel more nippy
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I only commute 4 miles, but still do it on a drop bar road bike.

I started on my MTB, and then put slicks on it, and then decided I was fed up getting overtaken by road bikes.

The upside of it is that it got me in to road cycling outside of the commute.

I stuck a Carradice Saddle bag on it to make it practical for the commute.

My morning are now bascially a sprint trying to set new Strava records :p
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    @Inkz I realised I should get a road bike when I started overtaking roadies on my way home and on the lunchtime hill. Got me thinking how much faster would I be on one of those. Turns out not so much
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter is a Hybrid, although the frame could be an MTB for all the difference it would make (everything else is MTB kit), 9.75kg, 6.7 miles on 1.5" slicks and I average over 15mph on a relatively hilly route while carry 6Kg on the back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    InkZ wrote:
    I only commute 4 miles, but still do it on a drop bar road bike.

I started on my MTB, and then put slicks on it, and then decided I was fed up getting overtaken by road bikes.

The upside of it is that it got me in to road cycling outside of the commute.
    This, + lots. I started with 1 MTB, I now own the same MTB, 3 road bikes, 1 single speed, 1 TT bike and 1 road bike frame that I don't know what to do with. I race, time trial, do sportives and train for all of them, spend 6-14 hours a week on the bike and love every minute of it.

Be careful, its a slippery slope to happiness!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iand-83
    The slippery slope to happiness is looking at a new MTB and a hybrid/road bike for commuting duties and when I want to go for a ride but not off road.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Just my 2 cents but for such a short commute almost any bike would do. Slicks on the MTB would be my choice, Yes a road bike would be a little faster maybe 15 seconds per mile or so but if you are only doing a handful of miles it only adds up to a few minutes. Also the road bike will be less comfortable and be more prone to punctures.

I have done commuting on all types and my commute distance is the same as yours, I noticed that on my 7kg road bike I was 6 minutes faster than my 9spd MTB with slicks. I currently use a single speed flat bar hybrid and its again almost identical times.

Go for the slicks its the cheapest option and the smaller wheels and added comfort will be useful
  • iand-83
    I am currently using my Specialized Rockhopper with slicks on it but want to get this back to being used for off road, I do have an old Carrera Kraken which I think I might slap the slick tyres onto and try it for a while. Been sitting for a few years so might need a bit of TLC before it moves again.
  • The Rookie
    Put the slicks on the Kraken, look at what is on it you do and don't need(like the granny ring for example, maybe you just need the big ring), replace what needs replacing with the best bits for the job, drop the bars a bit (spacers or flipped stem) and it will be darn near as fast as a road bike but more comfortable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iand-83
    The Rookie wrote:
    Put the slicks on the Kraken, look at what is on it you do and don't need(like the granny ring for example, maybe you just need the big ring), replace what needs replacing with the best bits for the job, drop the bars a bit (spacers or flipped stem) and it will be darn near as fast as a road bike but more comfortable.

Was thinking losing the front derailer and the granny and middle ring and swap the suspension forks for some rigid alloy ones. I think it has a few spacers under the stem so might pop them above it to drop the stem down.
  • The Rookie
    If you run one ring you'll still need a chain guide, I currently use an old cheap road front mech which I've cut the bits off I don't need like the actuation arm.