Safety Pin Rant!

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,551
edited July 2013 in Amateur race
Every time I run a race I spend ages going through the numbers and ensuring each one has sufficient to secure it to a jersey - no more, no less. At sign on you can guarantee several people will tell me their number hasn't got enough pins and can they have more. I say no as I know they all have enough. Then you sort the numbers for the next race and there are loads with pins missing - in many cases all six. It's a time consuming pain in the ar$e doing this every time so a message on behalf of organisers to any safety pin thieves out there - buy your own f***ing pins you cheap skate lazy gits!

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I have a tub of spare pins. Always getting given numbers with missing pins, or weak thin old flimsy pins that won't go through the jersey and then bend and become unusable, or rusty old pins. Then I forget which pins are mine and which were already in the numbers. So I leave them all in the holes and end up actually losing pins out of my stash. Message to all organisers on behalf of all riders who have their own pins - make sure the numbers have enough pins and that they are of sufficient quality you cheap skate gits!
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I do... at start of season in March.. I had tens of them.new sharp shiny . bought from Tesco.. I now have about 5... work that one out... it's the pin elves you know
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Alternatively turn up to an event as a competitor and flash a box of safety pins and sell to he/she who offers the most tea/cake :mrgreen:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pins? Getting all the numbers back after a race would be nice too....
  • Pross
    Every single one of my (double) numbers had six shiny new pins in for the race I ran in May. Having just gone through them I need 115 for the set of 90 numbers to replace those missing! Anyone know a High Street store that sells big tubs of them? Last time I ended up getting them from Wilkinson but they were small packs varying in size from tiny to giant nappy pin sized ones that must have weighed more than some bikes!
  • Pross
    To answer my own question Hobbycraft looks the best bet. Need the club to invest in new numbers too!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Six pins for a set of double race numbers isn't enough, young man.
    I normally use 8 in a single tt number in a road race ,need at least 16 to stop the sides flapping in the wind.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I am guilty of this I'm afraid. Started with none, and having been an unbearable PITA for a lot of organisers I now have a pretty large tubs worth.

Sorry.

Absolve youself by sending them to Pross...
  • Pross
    sub55 wrote:
    I normally use 8 in a single tt number in a road race ,need at least 16 to stop the sides flapping in the wind.

6 is enough to hold them on. It's all I use when I race. If I rider wants the number less flappy then they need to use their own pins. It took over 3 hours to put a full set of pins on each number last time. Next season I'll get a tub of 1000 and people can sort their own numbers out (although at 16 pins per number even that wouldn't be enough!). Most I have seen used on these numbers is 10.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    pins? Added weight...I super glue the number to my face.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    I blame 4th cats
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Looks like I'm your dream competitor. I bring my own so I can avoid the rusty ones that pull holes in your jersey and use as many as I like (normally 7 per square number or 10 for a double number. Like Sub55 I don't like them flapping around).
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Pross wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

6 is enough to hold them on. It's all I use when I race. If I rider wants the number less flappy then they need to use their own pins. It took over 3 hours to put a full set of pins on each number last time. Next season I'll get a tub of 1000 and people can sort their own numbers out (although at 16 pins per number even that wouldn't be enough!). Most I have seen used on these numbers is 10.

Hey Pross, i must admit im a lazy bu**er, and only promote one event a year and thats a time trial.
    I can deal with safety pins ,just get a big box and lay them on the table, riders can help themselves, no big issues.
    What i really object too is the arrogant ,selfcentered fu**ers that use double sided sticky tape to stick their numbers on. Getting it off again is a complete nightmare. Dont suppose this trick has filtered down to the road racers in Abergavenny yet. But it will.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    sub55 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

Hey Pross, i must admit im a lazy bu**er, and only promote one event a year and thats a time trial.
    I can deal with safety pins ,just get a big box and lay them on the table, riders can help themselves, no big issues.
    What i really object too is the arrogant ,selfcentered fu**ers that use double sided sticky tape to stick their numbers on. Getting it off again is a complete nightmare. Dont suppose this trick has filtered down to the road racers in Abergavenny yet. But it will.

tried this once, but didn't want to return the number with the adhesive tape still in place so removed it after the race. Took about an hour! pins are fine for the difference it made.

Pross try a medical supplier for bulk quantities of safety pins.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd also add that I heard a story the other week of someone bulk buying safty pins in eBay only to find that they were so weak that they wouldn't go through the numbers without bending!

+1 on the medical supplys.

Just found this place too (dependent on shipping it should be VERY cheap so worth the risk of rubbish pins) -

http://www.raceresult.co.uk/en-uk/shop/safetypins.php
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    why not make it like in France where all riders take their own pins, they even have just paper numbers which further reduces cost, not sure how many races they last for but some i have had look like they have alot of pin holes in them. It wouldn't take long for people ti get in the routine of putting pins in their race bag with their licence and bidons etc
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I would find somewhere that sells pins in bulk. Give out race numbers without pins and people can take however many pins they need from a big tub on a table.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    Neodymium magnets (20x2mm work well) covered in ducktape for a bit of grip