Suspension Fox CTD

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Does anyone have FOX's 2013 CTD setup?

I have and although I'm sure its good I'm struggling setting it up. It seams ok but then take it somewhere it reals rough and not set up good. Ive emailed Mojo and they was not much help. The Fox iRD app is very un accurate! Im stuck as I know I am not getting the best from the fork/shock. Is any one pretty good at this sort of thing and have some fool proof ways of set up? Would lime to attend a set up day but not one near me :(

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What exact models are you running?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you tried phoning TF Tuned? They are pretty helpful.
  • lbalony
    Models are :

Rear Shock: Fox Float CTD B/V (Factory)
    Fork: Fox 32 Float CTD FIT Factory series

What the B/V mean? What does Factory mean? A bit like OE stuff?
  • lbalony
    Have you tried phoning TF Tuned? They are pretty helpful.

I had never heard of them. Just thought Mojo would be the only people to help. Might have to have a chat with them. Why is it Fox come with no manuals?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look on their website. It should all be there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lbalony
    cooldad wrote:

I have had a look and it just shows about setting sag. A basic on rebound also. There is no manual either to help. I have set 25% sag on the fork and 30% on the rear after reading a guide in the new MBUK mag but I am not sure where to set Rebound. The last ride it felt like the front and rear was working different and not in harmony if that makes sense.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to adjust them and fine tune them. No one can set them up for you, or suggest settings. Trial and error.
    Set the sag, set compression damping (if they have) and rebound adjustment in the middle, and fiddle from there.
    Rebound should be fast enough so they don't pack down after a succession of bumps, slow enough so it doesn't pogo.
    Bear in mind they are damping djustments, so the more you add the slower the shock rebounds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Find your self a nice bit of trail somewhere (preferably flatish) which has some nice bumps on it so you can ride up and down and learn the dark art of suspension fettling. Take a small note pad with you with a column for each setting on the shock (its usually helpful to know how many 'clicks' each setting has).

Now I've not used the CTD fork so I'm not 100% sure what adjustment it has. I suspect all your compression damping is handled by the CTD switch. Other forks will allow you to set high and low speed compression damping yourself.

I imagine you have a rebound damper setting. As cool dad said - you have to find the happy medium that suits you. I personally prefer to start by having very little damping so the fork springs back quickly and dial it in until its slow enough that it feels right. Go one click at a time (doing test runs on your section of trail) and make a note of how many clicks from the minimum setting there were (for future reference). At least at this point you have a nice point to start from and as you go on you may find you want more or less rebound damping depending on the terrain your riding and again you can write these settings down to remember if you like.

If you did/do have high and low speed compression settings - you would need to do the same process of starting at one end of each setting and dialling it in until it feels right (obviously remembering that you have to hit the bumps very fast on your test run to test the high speed compression response and rolling slower or just pedalling to test if the low speed compression is right. As you will want to find a balance between small bump compliance and how much the bike bobs under power or dives when braking).

If you feel you have set things up as good as you can get them and its still not right - you can experiment with a little less air in the shock (for plusher) or a bit more (for more support) - I always had to run my 2009 fox 36 talas soft (ended up being about 30% sag) to get close to the feel I wanted.

If your still not satisfied (and you've had a good go practicing setting up your suspension, ring TF tuned and explain what you can't solve in terms of feel - i.e. not plush enough, diving through travel too easy etc. and see if they can either advise you or if you need some tweaked internals (not cheap, but cheaper than a new fork - but generally people are very happy with the results).

There are suspension fettling manuals out there that are probably much better written than this and I hope I haven't confused you. If you are baffled by it - try your LBS and if they can help you get it set up :)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    lbalony wrote:
    Models are :

Rear Shock: Fox Float CTD B/V (Factory)
    Fork: Fox 32 Float CTD FIT Factory series

What the B/V mean?

Boost valve.
  • lbalony
    Cheers guys.

After all your advice I think ive cracked it. Set 25% sag f&r. Now just tweeking rebound but now the sags good it feels alot better! Went Wharncliffe last night to check it out & was happy with it but will keep adjusting rebound though.

I know its off topic but does anyone have a map of wharncliffe woods! Red/black/mini downhills?

I dont ask much eh!! Ha
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I do, I will hunt it out ;-)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    lbalony wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I have had a look and it just shows about setting sag. A basic on rebound also. There is no manual either to help.
    You need to look harder. Fox have (somewhere, I'm not going to google something FOR you) a very comprehensive setup guide that takes you through all the steps of preload, high/low speed compression, and rebound.
  • lbalony
    lbalony wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I have had a look and it just shows about setting sag. A basic on rebound also. There is no manual either to help.
    You need to look harder. Fox have (somewhere, I'm not going to google something FOR you) a very comprehensive setup guide that takes you through all the steps of preload, high/low speed compression, and rebound.

I have searched for it to o avail. Even before you mentioned it I had been searching for something similar. Again there is nothing like that on their website. Cheers though.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    lbalony wrote:
    I have searched for it to o avail. Even before you mentioned it I had been searching for something similar. Again there is nothing like that on their website. Cheers though.

This literally took me 10 sec to find! And I don't use Fox or frequent their website.

Manuals:
    http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&ref=topnav

Tunign tips:
    http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=86&ref=tuningtips