Is the new Ultegra crankset compatible with 6700 10 speed ?

adamfo
adamfo Posts: 763
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Are teeth and chain narrower than the old 6700 Ultegra ?

108720.jpg

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If the 'new Ultegra' you speak of is 10 speed then it will be fine with 6700.

If it 'goes all the way to 11' then the chain width will be different.

Even if it is 11 speed the chainset will still work with 10 speed providing you keep the remainder of the group set as 10 speed (obviously).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    He's talking about Ultegra 6800 which is 11 speed and will it work if the rest of the components are Ultegra 6700 which is 10 speed.

I'd like to know the answer myself, as I want to upgrade from 105 5700 which is 10 speed.
  • spanner239
    spanner239 Posts: 181
    I was going to ask the same thing as the new 11 speed crankset comes in a very handy 52/36 combo which seems to be the best of both worlds of a regular and compact. I would propose to run the 11 speed crankset with the remainder being 10 speed Ultegra 6700, would this work ok?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I'd be very, very surprised if it doesn't work. I know, for example, that 11 speed Campag chainsets work perfectly with 10 speed systems.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    I's also like to know if the 6800 rear mech is 6700 compatible. Shimano say no, but then they would say that.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Chainsets don't care what the external width is of the chain, so you can pretty much mix-and-match as you wish.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • smidsy
    He's talking about Ultegra 6800 which is 11 speed and will it work if the rest of the components are Ultegra 6700 which is 10 speed.

I'd like to know the answer myself, as I want to upgrade from 105 5700 which is 10 speed.

I already said it would :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • markhewitt1978
    smidsy wrote:

I already said it would :roll:

Well you didn't know what the new Ultegra was, and as everyone knows you don't base purchasing decisions on the basis of one guy on the internet saying it's fine ;)
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    I'm assuming that the Right hand shifter (the one controlling the rear mech) is different...
  • markhewitt1978
    yaya wrote:
    I'm assuming that the Right hand shifter (the one controlling the rear mech) is different...

Yes, and I'm also led to believe the left shifter and front mech are 11 speed specific, if this translates into different spacing for the chain rings is the question for this thread.
  • adamfo
    The new Ultegra 6800 is due in next month. The cranks are a bit lighter.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... lID=108720
  • markhewitt1978
    adamfo wrote:
    The new Ultegra 6800 is due in next month. The cranks are a bit lighter.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... lID=108720

Yes that's the entire point of this discussion...
  • smidsy
    Well you didn't know what the new Ultegra was, and as everyone knows you don't base purchasing decisions on the basis of one guy on the internet saying it's fine ;)

Suggest you read the last line of my original reply again.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • markhewitt1978
    smidsy wrote:

Suggest you read the last line of my original reply again.

Well I have of course. But I maintain that unless I see one in use I shall remain cautious.
  • adamfo
    The answer to my question is yes. See this thread concerning Dura Ace 9000 11 speed compatibility.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 3&t=114593
  • markhewitt1978
    Another item for my Christmas list then :D

I'm not trying to argue a point here, but looking at Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ac ... -chainset/ they have a staff member telling everyone who asks that the DA9000 chainset will *not* work with the DA7900 groupset. They are probably just covering themselves?
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    I have seen a 9000 chainset used on a 7900 groupset, it was fine.
  • markhewitt1978
    mister p wrote:
    I have seen a 9000 chainset used on a 7900 groupset, it was fine.

Cool :).
    I can't afford Dura Ace.
    I can't afford Dura Ace.
    I can't afford Dura Ace.
    I can't afford Dura Ace.
    I can't afford Dura Ace.
    :|
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    As the spacing on 9000 is the same as 6800 and on 7900 is the same as 6700 it means the new Ultegra chainset will work with 10 speed Ultegra group.
  • desweller
    mister p wrote:
    As the spacing on 9000 is the same as 6800 and on 7900 is the same as 6700 it means the new Ultegra chainset will work with 10 speed Ultegra group.

And 9-speed, and 8-speed.... The spacing on chainsets is the same. You could use a Campagnolo FD on a Shimano chainset if you so wished.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • markhewitt1978
    DesWeller wrote:
    mister p wrote:

And 9-speed, and 8-speed.... The spacing on chainsets is the same. You could use a Campagnolo FD on a Shimano chainset if you so wished.

Does this also follow that if you wanted to switch from Ultegra 6700 to 6800 you don't need to change the FD? - And I suppose by extension the left hand shifter?
  • desweller
    I think the derailleurs have a slightly narrower cage width but in practice there's probably not enough in it to necessitate swapping the FD. Unless the brake MA has changed you could use the left shifter too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The 6800 front mech is a totally new design that has a very different shifting feel. I don't know if the cable pull has changed but it very likely has, so I wouldn't assume the 6800 shifter would work with an older mech.

Obviously you could run an older left hand shifter and front mech, but they don't normally sell individual levers and in any case the front shifting is probably the best thing about 6800, so why would you?
  • Hi,
    does anyone know if the new Dura Ace 9000 Crank will work with my current Ultegra Di2 set up. All I want to do is swap cranks, nothing else. I am getting so many people, (including my LBS) say it cant be done. Plenty of people on the internet saying it can be done. I don't want to buy it and then be stuck with a crank that wont work on my bike.

This is my bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 1#features

I now have the C50 DA9000 wheel set on it.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    Sorry for bumping an old thread but I need to replace my chainset and fancy the Ultegra 6800 52/36 but the rest of my group is Ultegra 6700, has anyone actually been running this combination for any length of time, if so is it OK and what chain are you using, i.e. 10 or 11 speed?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm running a 6800 52/36 chainset with everything else 6600, apart from the chain which is a KMC X10SL. All works fine. I was going to go for the complete 6800 groupset, but have too many wheels with the "old" free hub and am still figuring out how to get around that problem.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    Thanks termite, bought one today (got evans to price match with wiggle) and took less than 30 mins to fit, including taking some time to clean up the front mech whilst I had the opportunity. Shifting is fine, rest of the gear train including chain is Ultegra 6700, if anything shifting is crisper than the FSA chainset it replaced although that could be just that it was worn and it definitely runs a lot quieter. The other reason to change was to get the 52/36 combination having finally admitted maybe the 53/39 was just a little bit much for me these days,actually I'm happy with a 53 but having never been much of a climber it was the 39 that I needed to swap so the 52/36 seemed the best compromise. Will take it for a decent spin tomorrow. :D
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    6800 and 9000 chainsets work fine with 10 speed. that is all.