No matter how long you've ridden

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited July 2013 in Road general
in terms of time not distance, do you ever still get days when your legs are just 'not there'?

Today is one of those days. Even though it was just a commute to & from work, felt like I was the nail and not the hammer today :D

I think a couple of tins of Guinness may fix it tonight.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    For sure - and sometimes there's seemingly no reason for it. Often Mondays feel a bit tough if it's been a long weekend of riding, but sometimes, a random Thursday (or whatever) I can suddenly have no legs at all.

I am sure a thousand and one small factors play into it - sleep, nutrition, hydration etc. - so it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

There's a saying used in audax a lot - you're only as good as the ride you're on

Good luck with researching whether Guinness is a miracle cure!
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Just look at Richie Porte on Sunday...it happens to the best too.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Just look at Richie Porte on Sunday...it happens to the best too.

TBF he had just pummelled himself for Froome the day before.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just like anything else you get your good days and bad days.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    marcusjb wrote:
    For sure - and sometimes there's seemingly no reason for it. Often Mondays feel a bit tough if it's been a long weekend of riding, but sometimes, a random Thursday (or whatever) I can suddenly have no legs at all.

I am sure a thousand and one small factors play into it - sleep, nutrition, hydration etc. - so it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

There's a saying used in audax a lot - you're only as good as the ride you're on

Good luck with researching whether Guinness is a miracle cure!

I'm taking a day or two off and stripping my bike down to re-build it. Not that it'll make it any faster but my muscles will thank me for the rest, I imagine.

And the Guinness is doing it's job. At least it feels like it is :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I've really suffered the last couple of days, no legs, no wind and just a long painful grind... No idea why other than the heat