Rear tyre issues

IceDog77
IceDog77 Posts: 43
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there

I am having a reoccurring issue with my rear tyre.

Since I bought my new bike in February I have had to change the rear inner due to it being flat 6 times. Each time I have tried to find the cause of the issue to no avail. I have checked for any sharp edging on the wheel rim, checked thorns or other foreign bodies, tyre beeding etc etc and still I can't find the issue.

After a ride I lock the bike away, and when I come to ride it a few days later the rear tyre is completely flat again.

It is driving me insane and costing me money in new inners.

I am 15.5 stone, so even at 62 PSI the rear tyre is compressed a little when I ride, where the front tyre isn't, but I am sure this cant be the only reason there might be an issue.

The wheels and tyres are the standard stock ones I got on the bike when I bought it, Whyte 529 - http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 37&xSec=69

Has anyone got any ideas? any help would be appreciated.
Trek Domane 4.3 2014
Whyte 529 2013

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you fixing the puncture or just putting a new tube in each time.

Fixing it will guide you to where it is happening and where to look on the tyre as if it is the same thing doing it each time you'll be fixing it in the same place each time or the reverse.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even at 15.5stone you shouldn't be riding an MTB at anywhere near 62psi! Most people ride at 25/30, as you are 25% heavier than 'average' then 30-35 psi would seem sensible as a starting point!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IceDog77
    IceDog77 Posts: 43
    Thanks guys. I have fixed a couple of the old inners, but the point of puncture on each are in different places, and I have checked the rim and inside the tyre where they occurred and found nothing.

Thanks for the tip on the PSI. Do you think that this might have something to do with it? too much weight on too high psi?
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are the punctures on the outside of the tube? Inside?

15.5 stone is not that heavy really, but you certainly have too much pressure.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check for something embedded in the tyre - if you're refitting the tyre in a different position every time, you'll get a different puncture. After 5 punctures on one ride, I found a piece of wire embedded in a mate's tyre - you could barely feel it with your fingernail, but it was enough to puncture the tyre after a short distance. Other option is that if you are using a hard plastic rim tape - it may have moved or edge is fretting the tyres.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Is it the same tube? The valve core might need tightening. I've seen it a couple of times (by that, I mean, literally twice, in....... oooh, yonks of cycling)
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    You could try a new rim tape. I had a similar wheel and replace the original tape with adhesive "high pressure" tape. the "high pressure" doesn't matter for you, but that tape solved the problem on my wheel.