Shorts for the lardy

zingaiya
zingaiya Posts: 52
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Morning all.
I'm a wobblebottom. I am stout and I am proud.
For the last few years I've been pillocking about on a hybrid, rarely doing more than 20km in a single session. I've done a few supersprint triathlons, but after doing Capesthorne earlier this year, myself and my beloved decided it was time to upgrade our bikes (she was riding the mountain bike she's had for 20+ years). So a quick trip down to EBC sees us armed with a Revolution Cross Sport (me, as I really do need discs), and a Specialized Tri-Cross (her - due to the small frame size). Yes I'm aware that her bike cost more money than mine.
Anyway, yesterday we racked up 60km or so, and I can best be described as chafing a bit this morning. My cycle shorts are the bog standard Decathlon ones.
I can cope with the pain from the saddle through the sit-bones, so I need some advice on the best anti-chafe shorts/bib. What do you recommend?

Comments

• Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    Start with something cheap and see how you get on, don't worry much about getting special. A pair of DHBs on wiggle / amazon should start you off. You might find that you want to buy a new saddle too, as ones sold with bikes can often be soft and chafetastic.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You're shorts may be fine - consider a good smearing with Chamois cream, its good for preventing chaffing
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    This could be a little delicate. I am also generously proportioned (though not as generously as I was) so an indication of size may help.

I currently wear a pair of Assos bought from the outlet and think they are fab. I must admit that in this warmer weather there is another issue as well. Sweating a little adds to the discomfort down there. best thing I have found for that is a quick shower and a generous helping of Talc.

Also no under wear. It worsens chafing and moisture related problems.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    Endura bin shorts xxl good for a size 38-40 inch waist( my starting weight )

Even though I too recommend any dhb stuff I still prefer the fit of the enduras so much that I soon replaced (thanks cycling!) my old ones with a large size.

Lucky for me I'm 6'2 tall so height is no issue but if your not so vertically gifted, you may struggle for strap length. Some people do shorten the straps though at the back(not the front !) it can be done.
  • zingaiya
    I'm 5' 9" and 15 stone, loaded mostly around the belly (38").
    The saddle that came with the bike has got a cut-out, and in no way can be described as soft, so that's probably not something to worry about.
    Is it worth looking in Evans, or just ordering sight unseen off t'interweb?
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    Can be worthwhile using your LBS rather than the web as you might be able to poke and prod and even try on (keeping your pants on for hygience sake) a few different ones.
  • zingaiya
    Got a pair of Castelli shorts from Evans yesterday.
    Had to get XL because of the belly, and I have to admit they were still a bit snug, especially around the thighs. Hugely comfortable once I sat on the bike, and managed a quick 10k ride where they felt very good. I'll have to get a long ride in this weekend somehow.
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    oxoman wrote:
    The decathlon shorts come in different pad types, 3 5 and 7. The 3 is for odd rides of around an hour, the 5 for longer distance and duration and so on. I have the both the 5 and 7s and both have done me for up to 70 plus miles without issues. It could be you just need the better ones assuming you only have the thinner ones. Chamios cream helps if needed, ( we don't all use it ). Biggest thing that causes chaffage is NOT going commando as boxers / pants rub. Forgot to add, don't go mad spending a fortune as if you continue to bike like you have started to your size will plummet as well. 18 months ago i was a 38" waist now 34" waist.

Agree with all this. I have the Decathlon 7s now and they're fine, although they chafed a bit without cream. Now I've bought some Assos cream and no problems (expensive but definitely worth it). FWIW I have disproportionately larger thighs than waist, so I've always struggled with legwear on & off the bike.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Zingaiya wrote:
    Got a pair of Castelli shorts from Evans yesterday.
    Had to get XL because of the belly, and I have to admit they were still a bit snug, especially around the thighs. Hugely comfortable once I sat on the bike, and managed a quick 10k ride where they felt very good. I'll have to get a long ride in this weekend somehow.

I love castelli bib shorts - I use the race - I would also give a vote for the endura equipe ones