Rear triangle with lateral play

apsol
apsol Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
After a day of riding, i came home and when i was cleaning the bike I noticed that there was a 1 or 2mm difference on the bolts that tighten the rear triangle with the link. If you look from above you'll notice that one bolt is closer to the frame 1 or 2mm, as I said before, than the other. And I tought it must be from the lateral tension when riding.

And another thing I noticed is if I hold the bike by the rear triangle and twist it, with the wheel on the ground, I can feel a little play/looseness. I'm not sure if it comes from the frame itself or maybe it can be from wheels.

What do you think ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bike is?
    Pictures would help.
    Play means something is loose or worn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pictures...
    If one bolt is further in it suggests the other is loosened out by that much!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apsol
    edited December 2014
    Its a Canyon Torque.
    I tried to tighten them but couldn't because they are threadlocked from factory as I never touched them before.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FS bikes should have all the pivots checked regularly unless you really don't need your two front teeth.....second pic down sure looks like a loose bolt compared to the top pic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apsol
    Yeah I tried to remove the cranks so I take out one of the chainrings, but it must be seized because I can't remove it, I tried with a hammer but no success.

About the bolt as I said before its threadlocked from factory so it must be tight enough I think.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you can't remove the crank you are doing something wrong. What cranks are they?
    And a bit of threadlock won't hold a bolt if it's loose.

I would check again. Or take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apsol
    Ok, I found out what was causing the lateral play. The rear hub was loose so I had to tighten it with the tool from the image.