going faster

talbotevo5
talbotevo5 Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
hello new to bikeradar I hawe a question about going faster I have a travel bike Mongoos Randonneur Pro
it is a good bike wheigt is 14 kilos with rack and mudgards I can maitain 30 to 34 km per hour on level ground
I hate it When flock of racers pass me when I am out riding my bike so I want to buy a decent racer 1200 to 2000
pounds What i want to know is how much faster will I go on the new bike.
I want to go fast should I consider
tt triatlon bike ?
:(

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Wilko's bike
    One bike used for everything, here in everyday mode with mudguards/rack

Andy-Wilkinson-WEB-3_zps2afbb657.jpg
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i would only consider a tt bike if you intend to race competitively. Get a good quality road bike and you will go faster, more comfortably. How much faster you will go is a daft question to ask as it entirely depends on you.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The trick is to accelerate as they pass you, then catch their draft and keep up as long as you can or until you can cheerily wave them of as you turn off to catch your breath. I did this to a guy from Blue Milk this morning :bgrin:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daft question ? what I am trying to find out is the differens betwen a carbon racer with 700 x 23 tyres and
    a touring bike with 700x38 tyres how much faster is the racer
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    talbotevo5 wrote:
    daft question ? what I am trying to find out is the differens betwen a carbon racer with 700 x 23 tyres and
    a touring bike with 700x38 tyres how much faster is the racer
    As fast as the rider on it can make it go
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A race bike with thin slick tyres v a touring bike with wide nobbly tyres is only going to make a slight difference.

In reality they were going quicker because they are fitter and have the benefit of riding in a large group to share the work load.

If you think changing bikes is suddenly going to allow you to not get passed by such folk - save your money.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Weight isn't very important, particularly at low level. Your position on the bike is the deciding factor, as pushing air out of the way is where most of your effort is going. Road bikes are designed to facilitate this, whereas tourers are generally set up for a more upright position.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    talbotevo5 wrote:
    hello new to bikeradar I hawe a question about going faster I have a travel bike Mongoos Randonneur Pro
    it is a good bike wheigt is 14 kilos with rack and mudgards I can maitain 30 to 34 km per hour on level ground

So 21mph then, sounds about right for level ground. A road bike will help you change your position so you are more aero, so you should be able to do say 25mph for the same effort. The big difference however is in the ability to maintain that speed over short rises etc.
    I hate it When flock of racers pass me when I am out riding my bike so I want to buy a decent racer 1200 to 2000
    pounds What i want to know is how much faster will I go on the new bike.
    I want to go fast should I consider
    tt triatlon bike ?
    :(

Nah not unless you want to do triathlons! You want a road bike, for £2,000 you can get a very nice one, and I recommend for that budget making sure it has a carbon frame and Ultegra components.

You will go faster, but you'll also enjoy riding it more as a result.
  • thank you all for good responce I will try to improwe my self on my tourer before I invest in a racer :D:D
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    Would very much recommend trying to find a local group to go with, you'll find yourself stretched in ways you can't stretch yourself solo, and also might enjoy the social aspect. I've not found the internet good for finding local groups (but perhaps that's just my area?) - ask at the nearest cycle shop or running shop, maybe stick a note in the local newsagent?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    talbotevo5 wrote:
    I will try to improwe my self

This is the key. All I would suggest is that you shouldn't expect miracles. The difference will be small. You will definitely feel flightier, but it certainly won't be the difference between being overtaken and not.

But carbon fibre isn't everything - a good bike has good frame, good wheels and good parts, and you should allocate your money accordingly.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Take a long view... My 2012 average was 11.74, 2013 to date 12.73.... Last month 13.95, this month so far 15.25

That's over about 7000 miles in east Cornwall with about 50 ft of climb per mile, I'm 62 and asthmatic, new to cycling but from previous experience as a road runner

I'm not conscious of being faster but it has just come over time and I'm now more confident and competent on a bike. A way to go but I'm getting there!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I'm with Mikey23 on this. Building up the fitness and endurance levels over time without forgetting to have fun on the way. Too many people throwing good money into un-needed upgrades (lets face it, buying bike bling is a lot of fun but an expensive addiction) - I think a lot of people are looking for a quick easy fix to go faster or get fitter, but it's all about the miles in the saddle. I was averaging 11-12mph on the 10 mile loop round my town last Sept, I can now do it in 15.5mph. I put heavier 32/34 spoke wheels on cos the poor surfaces and potholes flatted out my lighter entry-level rims. Running heavier wheels improves your fitness and improved fitness gives you more speed.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    sub55 wrote:
    Wilko's bike
    One bike used for everything, here in everyday mode with mudguards/rack

Andy-Wilkinson-WEB-3_zps2afbb657.jpg

And he can still drop the rest of us in the club with ease with his 35mm every day tyres, mudguards, panniers etc. His bike is actually very aerodynamic - you might not believe it but it is.