Achievement.......

Shakey Bear
Shakey Bear Posts: 55
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I appreciate this wont rock everyones world, but i feel the need to share
About 12 miles in to a route i've cycled about 9 times before there is a climb - it takes me up to a village called Wessington. The first few times i did it, i had to rest as short while at the top, and admire the view back over the Amber Valley, and a mighty impressive view it is. Well, this Sunday and last there was no stopping, i ascended the top, and kept on going, breathing hard yes, but stopping no. I will never stop again, the sense of achievement is :D

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done shakey,it is a great feeling to crack a good hill.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    I will never stop again

This is actually a really good mindset to get into. Once bailing out is no longer an option you just slow down, manage the pain safe in the knowledge that no ascent will ever defeat you.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,579
    Nice achievement, and a great mindset.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I remember about 5 years ago, a hill in Clent beat me and I had to walk up it. I have since ridden that hill several times and each time I do, I celebrate it as another victory.

Well done in beating your own hill. It will always be special no matter how many times you ride up it.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Well done Shakey. Nice to hear you've got the 'never again' attitude after beating the hill! I've got my own battle with a hill going on at the moment - going for third time lucky tonight!

My cousin lives in Wessington, so I know the area quite well - just out of interest - which hill did you conquer?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    Nice work Shakey. It's a great feeling!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Well done :-)
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Plenty of lovely "hills" in the Amber Valley to move onto next ;)

I love riding up that way.

Well done! Now keep going.
  • Schoie81 wrote:
    Well done Shakey. Nice to hear you've got the 'never again' attitude after beating the hill! I've got my own battle with a hill going on at the moment - going for third time lucky tonight!

My cousin lives in Wessington, so I know the area quite well - just out of interest - which hill did you conquer?
    Thru Wessington towards Tansley, it doesn't look much but I have felt every pedal stroke. Thanks for all the positive comments and support.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Well done. Going up to Wessington in a couple of weeks to cycle with 2 lads from work. Looking at the Strava profiles round there it's no wonder you struggled at first :shock:
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Well done. Next target - Crich from Bullbridge! :)