New bike for my 6yr old son

gwowders
gwowders Posts: 19
Hi all,

I'm fairly sure that I want to get my son his first 'proper' bike for his birthday on Tuesday, and it's looking like the Hotrock is the one to go for - http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-h ... -boys-2013.

I've kept an eye on ebay but there isn't one ending near me before Tuesday so I'll probably have to get it new, which is clearly going to cost me ££££ but that's the price I pay for leaving it so late! And yes, I understand they have a good re-sale value.

As a last ditch / alternative does anyone have any experience of the Halfords X-rated BMX (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165765)? It looks like good value... but then am I only getting what I pay for?

Has anyone's 6ry old son got one of these and do they use it more or less than a MTB? When we go for rides together we do tend to do a little xcrosountry but clearly nothing serious.

All thoughts appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ridgeback MX20 is worth a look - bit cheaper too. BMX is the wrong bike to learn on.
  • gwowders
    Thanks I'll take a look at that one.

He can ride fine, he's very confident on the cheapo halfords Apollo thing he got a couple of years ago but he's outgrown it now and it's time for him to step up into the big league!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Think about the type of riding he does... and may want to do.

A BMX will do almost anything, but there's only a few things it'll do well. So... if riding distances and/or hills is something to consider, probably not. Then again, it will develop strength, balance, stamina and they're generally pretty bulletproof and low maintenance.

I don't know about that particular BMX, btw. But yeah, anything from Specialized is rather Special. ;)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • gwowders
    @oxoman Cheers, you're probably right about Halfords... I was having last minute doubts about spending the cash, but you get what you pay for! Thanks for the tip on Frogbikes though, I didn't know about them.

@ baudman I should stick with the MTB, we do plenty of cross country / muddy field rides and I reckon that the BMX would struggle with this kind of riding. I suspect he's quite taken with Specialized as that's what I ride...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Islabikes always a top choice of course.

Some alternatives here also: viewtopic.php?f=40032&t=12877759
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • gwowders
    I've heard lots of good things about Islabikes but they're slightly too rich for my blood.
  • macbikes
    macbikes Posts: 58
    BMX would be enormous for him - he would need a 16inch wheel BMX to do BMXy stuff.
  • macbikes
    macbikes Posts: 58
    Meant to say the Ridgeback MX20 is a really good bike - my 6 year old has one. If I could have afforded it I probably would have gone for the Specialized.
  • gwowders
    good advice macbikes, cheers!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    gwowders wrote:
    good advice macbikes, cheers!
    Consider the RX20 which is the same bike but with a rigid fork. A bit lighter as well as a result.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.