avid elixir 9

Lapierre t 400
Lapierre t 400 Posts: 654
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
At the moment,I've got a set of avid elixir 9s running 200 mm fr and 180 mm rear discs
Yesterday,I was getting ready to go out for a ride so put the bike outdoors in the sunshine.When I went out about 20 mins later,I'd got about 200m down the road and the brakes locked on.

Has anyone had this before with these brakes?
I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a poor bleed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, sounds like the system was overfilled at that last 'bleed' and as such has insufficient expansion volume, common on Avids where people overfill them by bleeding without pistons back in an effortc to fix a 'long' lever as they havn't advanced the pads.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i've never had to bleed them,they've always been fine even on long downhill sections.
    It just happened saturday/sunday when the bike was out in the sun (about 25°C) for 20 mins.
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.