knees hitting arms in drops!?

mesteph
mesteph Posts: 59
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Had same great advice on here before so I'm hoping I can get some help to sort this problem out.

Riding in the drops today sprinting on a slight decline in the road and I could feel my knees striking my elbows, Had to open my arms out to prevent it. Obviously something not right but not sure what to change, could a wider set of bars maybe help? I am only 5"6 with an inside leg of 30" so a small frame was the obvious choice (I'm riding a giant defy). I'm thinking the standard bars/stem setup might just not be the right fit for my bodyshape but not sure what and how to change it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated because the bike feels great otherwise.

Thanks.

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Bars should be the same width as your shoulders, don't get wider than necessary.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    The bars should be shoulder width, that usually fits. I think, it would require giant bars to get the elbows out of the way. There isn't much space between elbows and knees in the drop position. Probably, you moved a bit forward while sprinting. How is it when you don't sprint?
  • mesteph
    mesteph Posts: 59
    It's fine when I am riding on the hoods, feel comfortable enough. So normally when people are down on the drops where are there knees? Do they not come as high as your arms, or do they end up inside your arms?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    How comfortable are the drops? If they're super deep then some slightly shallower ones might fix it.

Alternatively get a bike fit.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    When the cranks are in line with the downtube the knees should just brush your elbows.