Scott Scale 940 vs Scale 950 vs anything else...

daveappleton
daveappleton Posts: 11
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

My Scott Scale 50 was recently stolen and I'm just about to get paid out by the insurance company so I have a bike to buy.

Now I have to say that I was 100% in love with my old bike and it was a real shame to (quite literally) see it go. As such I'm very much in the market again for a Scott Scale.

The insurance company look like they are about to give me the equivalent value of a new Scott Scale 650 which is the same price as the 950 and considering my size, weight and the type of riding I do, the 950 would fit the bill quite nicely.

However I always said that I wished that I spent more on my bike once I realised how good it was and so have been looking at the 940 as well (same frame upgraded components).

Through colour scheme alone I prefer the 940, but struggling to justify the difference in price (£350) as the difference in spec doesn't look particularly worth it.

So could someone please take a look at the spec and tell me if there really is enough difference to justify paying the extra or should I just go for the 950 and put up with the green stripe?

http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/compare/5041-5042/2013-Scott-Scale-940-vs-2013-Scott-Scale-950

(I have looked at the 930, but the gearing is really not what I'm looking for)

Right now, the only other bike that really does turn my eye is the Focus Raven, but that would be a fair chunk more money and I'm unlikely going to be able to test one first since stockist are so scarce...

http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes/bikes-2013/category/mtb-hardtail/subcategory/29r-ht-1/model/raven-29r-40-30-g-1.html

But If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears...

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    940v950 - I don't think the changes are worth £350, you could buy the releant bits for that and have the 950 take off bits to sell!

Focus is a bit funny, heavy lower end wheelset to pay for the carbon frame...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Take a look at the Canyon 29r website awesome bike for the money
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Thanks for the thoughts.

The difference between the 950 and the 940 certainly questionable as far as I can see and considering they carry the same forks and near enough the same drive train, I doubt I’ll notice the minor changes compared to saving £350.

I have seen the Canyon bikes and they have turned my eye somewhat. The only problem with this is that this years stock is running out and I don’t think that Wheelies (who I will have to go though because of the insurance company) will be able to get hold of one for me – I’ll certainly ask though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They won't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cabnyon operate a direct business model, the only way I can see wheelies getting one is by then charging you a handling fee on top.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.