Old Cannondale F4, paint stripped & now minimalistic!

T00THBRU5H
T00THBRU5H Posts: 18
edited July 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Circa 2006 Cannondale frame, stipped all the paint off and replaced the 80mm headshock with a Salsa rigid fork. Very simple bike, and comfy!

The paint was very hard to get off, had to buy a really strong stripper online. The new nitromores didn't even effect the paint.

IMG_0308_zpsb4f357b3.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsc76498bc.jpg

Comments

• sgtJ
    sgtJ Posts: 8
    Hi, great looking bike. I was thinking of doing something similar with an old Gary Fisher. What finish have you used on the bare frame?
    Cannondale Synapse 2011
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    RIP......Verenti Kilmaston
  • T00THBRU5H
    Frame is just bare aluminium.

I've not put anything on it, don't see why I would need to. You could polish it up if you really wanted but I like the bare look.

The only stripper that worked for me was this: http://www.bodyshop247.co.uk/p/10257/St ... itres.html

Well worth it, bubbles in less than a minute, but you will need a gas mask.
  • sgtJ
    sgtJ Posts: 8
    I just thought you had to protect bare ally from oxidising.
    Cannondale Synapse 2011
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    RIP......Verenti Kilmaston
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I love that!!

And i think you may need to protect it from oxidizing. The aluminium will begin to have a faded look over time.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    T00THBRU5H wrote:
    The paint was very hard to get off, had to buy a really strong stripper online. The new nitromores didn't even effect the paint.

Nitromors is useless now that they're not allowed to use the ingredient that made it work. You may as well try strip paint by staring hard at it.
  • T00THBRU5H
    T00THBRU5H wrote:

Nitromors is useless now that they're not allowed to use the ingredient that made it work. You may as well try strip paint by staring hard at it.

Very true, you need to be using a stripper with Dichloromethane.

With regards to protecting the frame from oxidation, it's only an issue if you want a shiny look, far too much effort to polish it all up. It's my all-in-one bike, rough looks are acceptable.