Increasing mileage

jameswilson
jameswilson Posts: 14
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Having done a couple of 6k (19kph avg) rides I'm thinking I should increase distance. But by how much and how quickly?? Wasn't sure on this one the timing of increasing mileage?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    do you mean 6k - as in 6km ??
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    With running we talk about a 10% increase - but with cycling you can do it much higher than that.
    I think you could easily triple that 6k distance.
  • Thanks for advice. (Yes as in 6km)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    It's not about distance, it's about "effort". You can take all day and do a 100km at an easy pace, it would be the same as attacking a hilly 10km. Ride what you can, when you can and most importantly, enjoy it! Don't worry about distance, hills, winds, age, fitness level - we're all different. Enjoy 8)
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Up the distance - the way I did it was by looking at what convenient routes I could find. How do you feel on finishing these rides? I assume the 6K is a loop? why not try two laps?

Initially I was doing small increments, but once up to 10 miles I'd make increases of around 5 miles. Last week I did 42miles, and yesterday 58. Once you start doing decent distances, I think the steps you can make increase.

Good luck,
    Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Gizmodo wrote:
    It's not about distance, it's about "effort". You can take all day and do a 100km at an easy pace, it would be the same as attacking a hilly 10km. Ride what you can, when you can and most importantly, enjoy it! Don't worry about distance, hills, winds, age, fitness level - we're all different. Enjoy 8)

+1 +1
  • Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    Toe knee wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:

+1 +1

This definitely, just done my first 50 miler and I have been commuting from work 8.5 each way for last year or so.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you are worried about not making it back just pick a circuit close to your house and go round it as many times as you are able at whatever speed is comfortable for you. This way even if you run out of energy you are only a short way from home.

Do this more and more and your distance and speed will evolve organically.
    Yellow is the new Black.