100mm fork upgrade

Lewis A
Lewis A Posts: 767
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I have a 2012 cube analog with rs xc28 fork, which from my experience, is utter **** .
I'm keen to upgrade it, new or used, but must be 100 mm travel, 9mm qr, and be post mount for my discs. I don't want to spend too much, maybe up to £250.
So far I have found some magura durin x forks on jejames for £230, some new epicons for £150 and some manitou r7 pros, which I belive I should be wary of, for just below £200

Links below,

Lewis

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/magura-d ... 73386.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-EPICON-X ... 1e756187ca

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bi-plus-MANIT ... 1e76b7edf2
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OOS and On One are rather random with things like that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    edited July 2013
    :(
    cooldad wrote:

OOS? So is the reba better than the Magura? Also is it worth the extra money from the suntour? I requested a stock alert on the reba, but will they get more since the 2014 range is coming?

Lewis
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    cooldad wrote:

Bollocks. I checked the stock on the tapered before posting but missed it on the 1 1/8.
  • Lewis A
    So if they don't get stock are there any other options, or am I best to go with the Maguras?

Lewis
  • Lewis A
    Is the recon better value for money than the suntour, magura and manitou?

Lewis
  • Lewis A
    Anyone?
  • cooldad
    The RS are excellent forks, and I would get those simply because servicing is much easier because parts are readily available, and plenty of places can service them if you can’t do it yourself.
    The Manitou and Epicons are from China so good luck if something goes wrong.
    Magura do make decent forks though and they do have a local service centre – a couple of guys in a shed but they are helpful.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    Which would you say is better performance wise? Magura or recon? The magura has a higher rrp ;)

Thanks, Lewis
  • Lewis A
    Despite the weight penalty?
  • cooldad
    They are hardly lardy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Recon has fully adjustable compression damping. The Durin does not. The recon is more tunable, more reliable, easier and cheaper to service and lasts for ages, as well as having very smooth and compiosed performance.
  • Lewis A
    Sounds like the recon, let's see if I can afford it :D would be nice if I could find something used in the classifieds or ebay, might put up a wanted post... I guess I'll nearly be losing a kg anyway.
  • Lewis A
    On one just got back to me and said this, I think I'll wait a while just in case...

We don't currently have any on order, like you say its pretty close to the 2014 model being released. We may be offered more as a clearance offer so its worth staying on the stock alert list, but there is no firm way of knowing if/when we may get more in.
  • mcnultycop
    Reba RL Dual Air 1 1/8 QR in stock £240.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... forks.html

Better than the Recons.
  • Lewis A
    Bingo, thanks, my bank statement will determine things :D
  • cooldad
    Second hand forks are dangerous if you don't know what you're getting. A service will cost you £100 ish, anything more severe and it gets really expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    cooldad wrote:
    Second hand forks are dangerous if you don't know what you're getting. A service will cost you £100 ish, anything more severe and it gets really expensive.

I suppose, with a new reba for £250 I don't suppose I have much incentive to go used anymore.
  • Lewis A
    For £6 should I go for a simpler solo air over the dual? Specifically for those of us who have less expertise in suspension set up...
  • mcnultycop
    The dual air takes a bit longer to get set up correctly, but it allows more adjustability. I'd get the dual air Reba (I love mine).
  • Lewis A
    mcnultycop wrote:
    The dual air takes a bit longer to get set up correctly, but it allows more adjustability. I'd get the dual air Reba (I love mine).

Just found out the other company charge £15 shipping so dual air it is...

Lewis