Rapha or Ebay?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2013 in Road general
I've been using a frame bag to keep wallet, phone etc in but wondered about getting some sort of jersey sized pouch to shove this lot in so the bike looks a bit cleaner.

So far the options go from the sublime to the ridiculous -

Rapha's offering -

http://www.rapha.cc/essentials-case?locale=UK

Ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330810905256? ... 1423.l2649

Any thoughts? Or alternatives??

Comments

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Only thought is that rapha one is overpriced. Buy the ebay one or somethig similar. I just shove it all in a jersey pocket. Money i wrap in tinfoil so the sweat dont ruin the notes and thats it.
  • rodgers73
    I fear small stuff flying out when riding so a wallet like this is ideal to quell my paranoia
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    as above !

Ralph (tho good quality) is very much over-priced.
  • Zipvit sport are giving away free ones at the moment if you buy something.

photo_2.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rodgers73
    I think I have one of those! The fastening could be a bit irritating though? Does it fit a phone in it?
  • Probably

Or one of these:

10028_lezyne_caddy_sack.jpg?4f72bc27b16dcf3ec83eae48910b57aa
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • £45.00!!! for what is basically a largish coin purse is an absolute pXXX take. I wouldnt give my money to these robbers.
    Any market where they sell ladies bags/purses would get you sorted for about a £5.00 er. The Ebay offering is better value by far.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never taken my wallet out on a bike ride.
    Some cash maybe - possibly a card if it's an exciting one.
    I've a ziplock bag for my phone and notes. Change can go in my tool bag.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Zipvit sport are giving away free ones at the moment if you buy something.

photo_2.jpg

These are crap. I got one with a Cycling + mag a while back and the zippy bit broke on the first use.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Disposable ziploc bag. Job done. I use one until it has too many holes to hold change, and then I replace it for all of about a penny.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Sealable sandwich bag user here. Does the trick and keeps it all dry.

Tools etc go in the saddle pouch.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rodgers73
    Sandwich bag a bit too flimsy for me. I'd like something roughly the shape of the rear pocket so it fits in nicely.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    declan1 wrote:
    Zipvit sport are giving away free ones at the moment if you buy something.

photo_2.jpg

These are crap. I got one with a Cycling + mag a while back and the zippy bit broke on the first use.
    that's why they were free ...
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I have the Rapha Essentials Case, one of the best bike related purchases I've made ... It just does exactly what you need it to do (phone/keys/card/cash) ... You do look like an old lady with a purse the majority of the time though ...

However, if you are after a cheap option a small first aid kit pouch bought from an outdoor store for about £6 works well as they are waterproof ... and a few of the things included are handy to carry ...
  • rodgers73
    Do your things get a bit lost in the case though? It looked a little big with it being designed for tube, multitool AND phones, cash etc.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    do you not have a fear of it all falling out a jersey pocket? My phone won't fit in the zipped pocket, and am paranoid about it bouncing out somewhere in the road without me knowing - keys, card and cash all gone with it.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    pkripper wrote:
    do you not have a fear of it all falling out a jersey pocket? My phone won't fit in the zipped pocket, and am paranoid about it bouncing out somewhere in the road without me knowing - keys, card and cash all gone with it.

Go for the pencil case option velcro on the outside of the case and the inside of the pocket. Sorted.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    zip lock sandwich bag...done
  • I bought a transparent plastic pencil case from Smiths. £1.49 (cheaper than a pack of sandwich bags maybe?) Fits perfectly in middle jersey pocket. It's a more rigid and taller then a ziplock so it ends up sitting flat against your back and not sticking out because nothing can fall to the bottom. I would recommend trying it. (Especially if you are OCD about bulbous jersey pockets like me).

Cant stick them in the sides though, it sort of stretches the jersey around to your side.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Ziplock bag for me! cash card, key, phone and emergency tenner right in my back pocket where i need it. i think that rapha bag is great but more a thing a loved one would buy you and you would love rather than buying it and thinking it cost how much everytime you went for a ride :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • I have the Rapha Essentials Case, one of the best bike related purchases I've made ... It just does exactly what you need it to do (phone/keys/card/cash) ... You do look like an old lady with a purse the majority of the time though ...

However, if you are after a cheap option a small first aid kit pouch bought from an outdoor store for about £6 works well as they are waterproof ... and a few of the things included are handy to carry ...

If thats one of the best bike related purchases you have made, then I'd hate to see your worst.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I bought a transparent plastic pencil case from Smiths. £1.49 .

Why didn't you get a Toy Story one?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Ideal for training and social rides, this robust leather case is perfect storage for vital cycling items. The zipped case easily fits a spare tube, multi-tool and protects your valuables from the elements.

Are they suggesting you tuck your tadger and tackle into it and zip it up?

Sounds a tad uncomortable.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    I bought a transparent plastic pencil case from Smiths. £1.49 .

Why didn't you get a Toy Story one?

I really wanted a Spiderman one they had but it was about 4 quid. I spent a while checking out all the options, it brought back memories of back to school shopping when I was nipper. Choosing the right pencil case was a big deal in those days.
  • Karlos69
    Karlos69 Posts: 107
    These small cases are just right size for a credit card, coins, notes, house key etc.
    (You might have to pull a few strings to get the missus to sort one out for you)

tampons.jpg
    Cannondale Killer V
    Trek 6500
    Cannondale Bad Boy
    LOOK KG176
    Giant TCR Composite 1
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    All I do is whack my card/notes in he back of my iPhone case.. ( which I add has NEVER bounced out )

And with my keys I just safety pin a single house key to the inside of the jersey pocket...

Anything smaller like Gels etc, goes up my leg in my bib shorts. ( which get held in place easy )
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Morris Cat
    Morris Cat Posts: 26
    Things flying out of elasticated jersey pockets... I obviously need to ride harder! Is this measured on Strava Premium?
    Felix pouches (tuna or salmon)
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Probably

Or one of these:

10028_lezyne_caddy_sack.jpg?4f72bc27b16dcf3ec83eae48910b57aa

+1 for the Caddy Sack. I use one and I put my phone (Lumia 920 or cheapo Nokia) plus a couple of CO2 cannisters, chain link, spoke spanner, patches. It fits perfectly in the middle pocket in my Jerseys. I Did manage to get a spare tube in as well but that was just a little bit too uncomfortable when riding.

P