But more importantly, a word from our sponsors

goosey
goosey Posts: 103
edited July 2013 in Pro race
The crucial move of the day, possibly the tour, and we miss it because ITV4 is telling us about antiperspirant.
Would they miss a goal in the FA Cup final for a commercial break? I think not.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    goosey wrote:
    The crucial move of the day, possibly the tour, and we miss it because ITV4 is telling us about antiperspirant.

IIRC they've done that too.....or maybe it was an England match..
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    goosey wrote:

ITV Sport? Yes, yes they would.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    goosey wrote:
    Maybe not the final but they did this once: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRV7sOZ3X3s
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    They missed England's first (one of three(four)) goal of the World Cup 2010 on their HD channel
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    goosey wrote:

Given how many stinking, rancid arm pits I have shoved under my nose on the Jubilee Line every morning, the message about personal hygiene clearly isn't being spread widely enough!
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    How exactly do you suggest ITV predict when attacks are going to happen? Football and most other sports have natural breaks in which they can place adverts.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pross wrote:
    How exactly do you suggest ITV predict when attacks are going to happen? Football and most other sports have natural breaks in which they can place adverts.

Don't have a break on the final climb. Is that not what Eurosport do?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:

Don't have a break on the final climb. Is that not what Eurosport do?
    Yep. And it was blatantly obvious we were getting to the decisive point...
  • Pross
    They probably have to get a set amount of ad breaks in per hour and probably sell advertising time to certain slots depending on the anticipated viewing figures.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Eurosport seem to have a good policy of 'front loading' the adverts early on in the stage rather than on the final climb or run in.

Perhaps ITV cant do that commercially in which case i wouldnt mind the action being paused during the advert break if something major happens. Might not be live but a couple of minutes late is better than missing a key bit of the race.
  • Pross
    I know there are strict rules on the amount of advertising they can have per hour, maybe the rules are different for satellite channels?
  • goosey
    goosey Posts: 103
    Well, if all their viewers desert the channel for the opposition because of stupid scheduling like this, the advertisers are not going to be best pleased are they?
  • Pross
    Well if they have to meet stringent rules on how much avert time they have in an hour what can they do? I'm not sure how it ended up against schedule but Radio 5 were going to their coverage half an hour early as the race was up on schedule so pre-planning ad breaks may have been a problem.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:
    I know there are strict rules on the amount of advertising they can have per hour, maybe the rules are different for satellite channels?

They are, ITV can't have all their ad breaks at the start like ES do becasue of UK laws. ES isnt actually "made"* in the UK so presumably they don't apply (which sounds like a loophole waiting to be shut)

*however you create a TV program, produce?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

They are, ITV can't have all their ad breaks at the start like ES do becasue of UK laws. ES isnt actually "made"* in the UK so presumably they don't apply (which sounds like a loophole waiting to be shut)

*however you create a TV program, produce?

The final climb was 25 minutes; they seem to manage OK with 45 minutes (plus stoppage) without a ad break during the football...twice.
  • ddraver
    They ve mentioned it on the Real Peloton pod (now apparently defunct) a few times as it's Matt Rendell that makes the calls. I don't know the rules on British TV advertising but they have to be regularly spaced or something. It doesnt mean it wasnt a big mistake, just that by virtue of not being British, ES have a huge advantage in this respect...
    - @ddraver
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    ddraver wrote:
    They ve mentioned it on the Real Peloton pod (now apparently defunct) a few times as it's Matt Rendell that makes the calls. I don't know the rules on British TV advertising but they have to be regularly spaced or something. It doesnt mean it wasnt a big mistake, just that by virtue of not being British, ES have a huge advantage in this respect...

They are clearly not equally spaced during football - the ads are packed into the interval.
  • ddraver
    I dunno mate I'm a geologist, I have no idea about the laws of TV advertising and frankly, I'm very grateful for that.

Maybe football is different, frankly I don't give enough of a sh1t to keep arguing with you about this...
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    ddraver wrote:

It's British Eurosport. They're in London.

The biggest difference is clearly that ITV have proper advertisers who want value for money and Eurosport have stuff from the Uzbekh tourist board and stuff about towing icebergs to the desert (what the hell is that?).
  • ddraver
    Well every eurosport channel appears to go to the ad break at the same time regardless of what country it's in
    - @ddraver
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Itv used to front load the F1 adverts so the last 20 mins of the race would be uninterupted, so don't see why they couldn't do the same for the cycling.

That being said I'd rather grate my eyeballs than watch itv's live coverage....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Didn't miss anything anyway. French director missed it too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    On the flip side, on Thursday I was getting valuable information about PPIs and short term loans which may have made me thousands, but it was interputed by people ambling aimlessly down the road.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    In other news, anyone else think Kirby is doing a decent job this tour? I wasn't anticipating on thinking that a couple of weeks ago
  • ddraver
    Having had to put up with the chuckle brothers yesterday, today was a blessed relief

BTW - what did John Inverdale say, the left wing feminist tweeters i follow are in a right tizz?
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    In other news, anyone else think Kirby is doing a decent job this tour? I wasn't anticipating on thinking that a couple of weeks ago

Yeah, I agree with this. He's stopped laughing at his own jokes too, which is a bonus.
  • afx237vi
    ddraver wrote:
    Having had to put up with the chuckle brothers yesterday, today was a blessed relief

BTW - what did John Inverdale say, the left wing feminist tweeters i follow are in a right tizz?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ju ... CMP=twt_gu

I don't think you need to be a member of Femen to find that a dickish thing to say.
  • ddraver
    True dat....
    - @ddraver
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Eurosport live on mute with Brotherton on 5 live extra doing commentary.
    ITV for the highlights show later on.