Quick question....?

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hello everyone,

I'm about to go clip less for the first time :shock: , I have bought some spd sl pedals and cleats and new shoes, now my question is.
Should I have gone for some spd pedals and cleats as my first venture into going clip less, this was suggested to me by a cycling friend in work. .?
Now before I fit them should I take his advice, or just fit the spd sl pedals ?
Are they easy enough to get used to ?

That's it, thank you for any advice.

Tony.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    No you'll be fine. You'll get used to it very quickly. Enjoy! :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Toe knee
    Thank you nap,

That's it they are going on later. :D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Just take your time and practice clipping in and out on both feet. Find out which one you feel most comfortable unclipping from for stopping. Might sound weird but I always unclip with my left foot even though I am right handed. Some prefer their right. Also make sure you unclip well in advance of your stopping point. Nothing more embarrassing than coming to a stop and forgetting to get your foot out in time. Especially if its in front of a group of girls!!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Smoggy's on the money. I am also a left foot down guy, but that could be from years of riding motorbikes and the hendon shuffle.

The unclip in advance is important - stop at the lights and unclip and you'll probably fall, unclip ready and you'll be fine. I often kick my heel out on approach, but keep my foot on the pedal and if traffic starts to move and clipping back in is simple.

Before you head out, hand against a wall and make sure you can clip in and out without looking down.

I was a little anxious the first time, I haven't looked back.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I had my first ride with SPD SLs today after using SPDs for a few years. After just an hour I felt I was getting used to clipping in. Getting unclipped was a bit more difficult but that is no doubt due to me non tightening the cleat properly as it was loose when I got home.

I also unclip the left foot as when I started with clipless I read some advice for noobs that suggested it was safer unclipping the left as if you fail to get your foot loose your more likely to be leaning left ready to put that foot down so will fall to the kerb side of the road and not into traffic.
  • Toe knee
    Thanks everyone,
    I have put the pedals on , will put the cleats on my shoes in the morning, then I'm going on the turbo for a while to practice getting in and out, then go for an evening ride in the quiet country lanes later on. :D

Thanks again

Tony.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Dont forget you can set the tension on the pedals so its easier to unclip - I'm a left footer and I have my tension higher on the right than the left.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.