Boris Bike Cyclist Killed

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23207691

:(

Inevitable there would be a first, not a great epitaph. I must've cycled past that spot a few mins before it happened, though the time they state was wrong as I passed just after 19.00 & it was clear.

Comments

• mybreakfastconsisted
    mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
    edited July 2013
    Glad to see he's getting a kicking in the comments.

This is awful news.
  • We don't know the exact circumstances of what happened.

Whether the experience of the cyclist riding the hire bike is a factor we don't know. We also don't know yet if the painted blue lane of the Cycle Superhighway lulled the cyclist into a false sense of security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23210035

Shut up Tom Edwards, you tasteless victim-blaming cretin.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Very sad news. RIP. So young too.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Devastating news, another person doing nothing but using the roads to get from A to B. She was 17, how many f@rking times does this have to happen before somebody has the balls to overhaul the dangerous 1960's car based infrastructure in London. I'm a hardened b@stard to bad news but this has really upset me, enough is enough. My thoughts go out to her friends and family, I have no idea how they must be feeling. :cry:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, awful news. Such a shame.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Shut up Tom Edwards, you tasteless victim-blaming cretin.

Not really impressed with the Jenny Jones quote used, she's usually very pro-cycling, guess she got taken out of context.
    Traffic on red routes [is] too high for drivers to tolerate cyclists.

Drivers tolerating cyclists? Too high traffic for cyclists? :roll:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009

I know a lot of us have different thoughts on how effective protest rides are. I believe this one will be fully marshaled by the LCC so there will probably be cycle cops there as well (based on blackfriars). I think it's worth attending this one, there's a real sense of complacency with cycle funding, building 10m pavement hopping sections of cycle lane and calling it investment. There's plenty of room at Aldgate for a full lane for bikes yet i believe they're proposing a 1m wide strip in the massive redevelopment. We're all by and large fine mixing with traffic but we owe something to those like the girl who died, those who want to cycle safely without fear of being crushed by trucks, or kids who want to cycle to school. If you can spare the time, please think seriously about attending this one (and believe me I'm no supporter of the LCC).

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Koncordski wrote:

I know a lot of us have different thoughts on how effective protest rides are. I believe this one will be fully marshaled by the LCC so there will probably be cycle cops there as well (based on blackfriars). I think it's worth attending this one, there's a real sense of complacency with cycle funding, building 10m pavement hopping sections of cycle lane and calling it investment. There's plenty of room at Aldgate for a full lane for bikes yet i believe they're proposing a 1m wide strip in the massive redevelopment. We're all by and large fine mixing with traffic but we owe something to those like the girl who died, those who want to cycle safely without fear of being crushed by trucks, or kids who want to cycle to school. If you can spare the time, please think seriously about attending this one (and believe me I'm no supporter of the LCC).

+1