Bib shorts arrived today from Hong Kong.

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
This is mostly aimed at newcomers such as myself yo be honest.

Great service.
However it is most noticeable that the padding is twice as thick as the aldi shorts I bought a few weeks ago. Certainly makes me think importing goods from eBay is probably better than cheap UK purchases.

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    So would 5 times thicker mean 5 times better?
  • 16mm wrote:

would half as thick be half as good?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Buy cheap buy twice.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Certainly makes me think importing goods from eBay is probably better than cheap UK purchases.

I doubt very much that anything in Aldi is produced in the UK.

However, I have had cycle shoes, jacket and cycle shirts from them and for the price cannot be beaten.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    What buyer did u get them from?
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Purchased bib sets from eBay China. Generally they come up on the smaller side so Xl will be XXL or XXXL.

Quality not to bad if you are not the ardent cycling fanatic out at every opportunity.

Get your sick buckets ready.

gear.jpg
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    16mm wrote:

would half as thick be half as good?
    Of course not. It's not a very good metric.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My assos shorts have a thick pad.
    Other shorts I have have thinner ones.
    I don't think thickness of padding correlates with comfort - for me at least.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    cyco2 wrote:
    Certainly makes me think importing goods from eBay is probably better than cheap UK purchases.

I doubt very much that anything in Aldi is produced in the UK.

However, I have had cycle shoes, jacket and cycle shirts from them and for the price cannot be beaten.

Aldi kit is ok but doesn't last long, I have a pair of padded shorts for the mtb that lasted a couple of months and the short finger gloves didn't last a few weeks. For the price I can't complain though.
    antfly wrote:
    Buy cheap buy twice.

Fair comment although a bib shorts and top set from china costs less than £30 and the castelli equivalent would cost close to £200 so you could really buy 5 times and still have change :wink:

Having used a chinese kit for over 500 miles now it still washes well and the pad is still good. I also have genuine kit and would happily buy original kit all the time if they made their pricing a bit more realistic. If BBB, DHB etc can make good quality affordable kit why should castelli, rapha etc. think they can get away with charging 4 times the price.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Druidor wrote:
    Purchased bib sets from eBay China. Generally they come up on the smaller side so Xl will be XXL or XXXL.

Quality not to bad if you are not the ardent cycling fanatic out at every opportunity.

gear.jpg

You holding your breath? :lol:
  • Druidor
    Might be.... lol

not a pleasant sight
    ---
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    If a UK seller imported this and resold this stuff they could well be prosecuted by trading standards. How anyone can post a smug picture of themselves wearing fake rip off kit is beyond me!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Aldi kit is ok but doesn't last long, I have a pair of padded shorts for the mtb that lasted a couple of months and the short finger gloves didn't last a few weeks. For the price I can't complain though.

What are you doing to this stuff?! My short finger gloves have lasted thousands of miles (possibly more than 10,000!) - I've not bothered with the shorts but I got a load of long and short sleeved jerseys and still haven't used all of them because the ones I have been using are refusing to wear out! I have a feeling that they'll outlast me......

Whatever they are, they aren't flimsy.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Druidor wrote:

gear.jpg
    It looks a little snug.
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    i hope there aren't any Castelli Reps reading this thread... :roll:
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I don't get the point in fake china goods though, fair enough, buy some cheap kit from china but why rip off Casteli or some other team kit!? Doesn't make any sense what-so-ever.

If you want to wear the brand, buy it, otherwise don't.... You wouldn't stick a BMW badge on a rusty old fiesta would you?

Can blatently tell its fake, looks terrible compared with real Castelli, plus they use completely different designs from Castelli ....worlds apart, make yourselves look like idiots.

Buy unbranded china gear by all means, but fake ripped off stuff when brands like dhb are brilliant by the way, and are the same price as most of this cheap fake china cr@p and a hell of a lot better fitting and looking.... Idiots!

Just compare bad fitting, bad looking fake kit....
    Druidor wrote:
    gear.jpg

(I mean look how bad those shorts are!!!!!!)

With their real designs.... None have even a similar cut, or even a similar design!
    http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/page:1
  • Druidor
    Agree they are not up to par, just needed something cheap to tide me over and stop the wife complaining that I had spent money on bike stuff instead of a new dish washer (She found the receipt for my shoes & Pedals Dohhh).

She has a sink, fairy liquid and a dish brush what more does she need !!

Off to the local bike shops hopefully this weekend for some decent summer attire after I have done the taxi service of Swimming lessons, Karate Lessons and anything else the wife thinks of to ruin my weekend of being on the bike.

PS taken the pic off just to darned nasty.
    ---
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Druidor wrote:
    Agree they are not up to par, just needed something cheap to tide me over and stop the wife complaining that I had spent money on bike stuff instead of a new dish washer (She found the receipt for my shoes & Pedals Dohhh).

She has a sink, fairy liquid and a dish brush what more does she need !!

Off to the local bike shops hopefully this weekend for some decent summer attire after I have done the taxi service of Swimming lessons, Karate Lessons and anything else the wife thinks of to ruin my weekend of being on the bike.

Everyone has a budget, so fair enough for that, but even so, if you can't afford Castelli kit, just get something decent that looks good, such as:

£24 for decent budget bib's:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-cycling-bib-short/

£20 for decent budget jersey:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-mono-short-sleeve-jersey/

PS taken the pic off just to darned nasty.

LOL!