Spray on jerseys.

Lycraboy_Andy
Lycraboy_Andy Posts: 37
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Just how tight are cycling jersey's meant to be?? I have to confess to not owning a huge collection of cycling clothing, I'm chuffed to bits with the jersey I bought from Aldi in LARGE a month or two ago but I have to shamefully admit that I often go out wearing a t-shirt (which I combine with lycra shorts as I think these ARE essential).
Whether it's all in my mind or not, you seem to get more 'respect' on the road if you've got all the gear on, motorists often look twice before pulling out and pedestrians are sometimes more cautious about crossing in front of you (although not always! :x ).
So on the basis of that logic, today I treated myself to an Altura jersey in LARGE....feeling confident as it had an all round better feel than the Aldi top that I could choose my usual size with confidence. Well when I got it home I got a shock, the top half looked pretty good. I used to do weights regularly when I was younger and am fortunate enough to still have quite a defined upper body. However my friendship over recent years with vodka and coke, cakes and burgers has left me with a modest belly which unfortunately had nowhere to hide inside the new jersey!

Should I have got the extra large or is this normal?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,579
    Normal mate, they're not Spanx.
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    This is normal, wear that jersey with pride and be proud of being on a bike! If you want to look as good as pros do in their kit unfortunately you have to train like them also :oops: But as time goes on you will inevitably like so many others on here loose a good chunk of said belly! Best of luck!
    Ben
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Tight jerseys are more functional in that they are more aerodynamic, and they wick sweat away better. No need to be self concious about the fit of a jersey, it will look bad if its baggy and poorly fitted anyway so you can't win either way really!
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    I have just gone down a size as my belly reduces in size the more miles I do. They don't want to be flapping in the wind. I find if a jersey is too big it becomes loose around the waist and starts to ride up.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    vodka and coke, cakes and burgers

maybe switch to diet coke :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    team47b wrote:
    vodka and coke, cakes and burgers

maybe switch to diet coke :roll:

problem solved.
  • Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    You'll shed it comfortably over time. Lost 6 lbs since Monday eating like a horse as my wife and I I went on a wee cycling holiday. Bringing me to a full stone over last month. 15 st 6lb and counting. Cycling really helps keep it off, especially if your out every day (20 miles round trip to work 5 times a week :) )
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Dezcore wrote:
    You'll shed it comfortably over time. Lost 6 lbs since Monday eating like a horse as my wife and I I went on a wee cycling holiday. Bringing me to a full stone over last month. 15 st 6lb and counting. Cycling really helps keep it off, especially if your out every day (20 miles round trip to work 5 times a week :) )

Diuretic diet? :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You can't usually mix t-shirt and lycra shorts as then you have no pockets.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I wore a gilet over a t-shirt before I felt slim enough to wear a jersey. Yes, I'm a wimp.