Thinking of returning to cycling...

pdej4
pdej4 Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
About 12 years ago I used to ride a mountain bike fairly regularly for up to 20 mile routes, with a mix of road and off road (slightly more off road in general though). Since then, I've been to uni (had a lot to drink, and got into cooking), have a relatively sedantry job, and just lost touch with cycling completely. I still have my mountain bike but I really don't use it and to be honest, am not interested in that type of cycling anymore.

At the beginning of the year I joined the gym and have been going regularly, but hate using the bikes there so haven't been doing so, but I do want to do some cycling in the real world as we live in the countryside and have lots of great road routes to take advantage of.

I have a budget of about £300 and am willing to go used/second hand to get something slightly better. Earlier in the year, I spoke to a good independent bike shop near us who suggested perhaps looking at some sort of hybrid bike, but back then I had concerns of going for a road bike. I've done a bit of reading since then, and seen lots of comments suggesting to just go for a road bike instead, which I up for.

My main aims are for fitness and to loose a bit of weight. I would plan to be using it for 30 minutes before work and perhaps a couple of evenings too, and for longer journeys on the weekends. Any advice appreciated - and remember I know nothing about anything, so detailed information about gears etc is pretty meaningless to me!

Comments

• SwainDogg
    SwainDogg Posts: 21
    If you don't have a particular reason for not getting a road bike then go for one. Careful buying second hand if you don't know what to look out for as it may end up costing you more in the long run. Perhaps get someone to check it out for you first. You will probably get some good advice on new bikes that fit your budget. I would just say that make sure you get the size right from the start as this is really important. Don't enjoy it too much.....it may get expensive. If you have any specific questions then just ask.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Why not use your mountain bike on the road to see if the bug bites?
    You could simply lock out the suspension and possibly fit a pair of more road-specific tyres.

You could even sell your MTB bike to give yourself a better budget for a road bike. In terms of new bikes for your budget, check out the Decathlon - the Triban 3 is about as good as it gets circa £300
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html
    Cycling weakly
  • pdej4
    Can you help with any particular brands too consider, or even specific models I should look at?

Buying second hand shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a couple of mates that are very much into this, each who have several bikes, spending a good few thousand on their bikes. One also has bought a couple of ebay to refurbish if that's the right word, so I would check with them first, but just want a few ideas of what to look out for before I waste too much time looking at crap!
  • pdej4
    skyd0g wrote:
    Why not use your mountain bike on the road to see if the bug bites?
    You could simply lock out the suspension and possibly fit a pair of more road-specific tyres.

You could even sell your MTB bike to give yourself a better budget for a road bike. In terms of new bikes for your budget, check out the Decathlon - the Triban 3 is about as good as it gets circa £300
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

I had thought about selling my MTB, but we do have a good country park near us where we walk the dog quite a lot - one intention is to cycle there whilst the dog keeps up (or ahead?!).

We'd thought to look at Decathlon, but just haven't done it. There's one not too far from us too, so maybe we'll pop in next week. Are they good enough bikes? In the past, I've always steered clear of places like halfords etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get slick tyres for the MTB and see how you go on that. 30 mins a few times a week wont lose you any weight mind you.
  • pdej4
    cougie wrote:
    30 mins a few times a week wont lose you any weight mind you.

Thanks for the helpful contribution... I respect the fact that you are probably a serious cyclist and look like you are on here all the time, but is that a necessary adittion to your contribution? You don't know what I'm doing at the gym in co-ordination with the cycling, and believe it or not wether it affects the weight, it will affect my general fitness! It's comments like that, that are more likely to put people off cycling to be honest. It's like saying, just don't bother at all!
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    pdej4 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    30 mins a few times a week wont lose you any weight mind you.

Thanks for the helpful contribution... I respect the fact that you are probably a serious cyclist and look like you are on here all the time, but is that a necessary adittion to your contribution? You don't know what I'm doing at the gym in co-ordination with the cycling, and believe it or not wether it affects the weight, it will affect my general fitness! It's comments like that, that are more likely to put people off cycling to be honest. It's like saying, just don't bother at all!

Don't be so sensitive. I didn't read his post as too negative. He has a valid point and you sound like you recognise it. His suggestion about slicks on the MTB is also valid. 30 mins on a road bike will use less energy than 30 mins on a MTB on the road so as a starter that would help you get started. Whilst using slicks on the MTB you can save for a better road bike safe in the knowledge that when you get one you will be sure you want to keep cycling and you'll get more from it as you will be fitter.
  • cougie
    Jeez - someones touchy today. You said :

"My main aims are for fitness and to loose a bit of weight. I would plan to be using it for 30 minutes before work and perhaps a couple of evenings too, and for longer journeys on the weekends. Any advice appreciated - and remember I know nothing about anything, so detailed information about gears etc is pretty meaningless to me!"

So I gave you some advice. I'm sorry you didn't appreciate it but its true. Even if you're hitting the gym - which you didn't say you were - you wont burn that many calories. It's all about cutting down - trust me - I've been there. People don't get this at all. To burn 1000 calories - I'd have to run 10 miles - which would be 90 mins of pretty hard exercise. To gain 1000 calories - pass me a tube of pringles. Sorted.

Its nothing like saying dont bother cycling at all. YOU said one of your goals was to lose weight. I gave you some valuable advice. If you REALLY think that I'm saying dont bother cycling then you're a bit defeatist. Cycling is brilliant fun. Just do it for its own reward is enough.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Cycling is indeed brilliant fun until you start looking at some of the threads on here and wondering whether you are upsetting half the community by overtaking, not overtaking, waving or not, nodding or not, wearing lycra or not, expensive team kit or not . . . . . . . . .
    F**k 'em. Get a bike a ride it, enjoy, be happier.
  • cougie
    Exactly.