Left shifter lever doesn't spring back after gear change

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited March 2016 in Workshop
When I push my left brake lever inwards (to shift onto the big ring) the lever doesn't spring back as freely as it should. I have to help push it back to the vertical position. I tried removing all the gear cables and the lever is the same. I've tried spraying WD-40 inside the shifter to try and lubricate but this also hasn't helped.

On the other lever shift if you push it inwards slightly (before any cable has been pulled) it will spring right back. The left one just stays in position and needs pushing back. When you do a full push of the lever to change up onto the large ring there is some returning force to the lever but not enough to actually move it back to the starting position.

It's an Ultegra 6700 shifter which is about 1.5 years old (age of bike) :?:

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You may get a new one under warranty if you've owned it from new.
  • bus_ter
    Possibly. I checked and Shimano's warranty is 2 years. However it's mid season and I don't want to be without my bike for an extended period. I was just going to buy a new shifter until I realised how expensive they are! eek.

I was hoping it would be a common issue with an easy fix?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    bus_ter wrote:
    When I push my left brake lever inwards (to shift onto the big ring) the lever doesn't spring back as freely as it should. I have to help push it back to the vertical position. I tried removing all the gear cables and the lever is the same. I've tried spraying WD-40 inside the shifter to try and lubricate but this also hasn't helped.

On the other lever shift if you push it inwards slightly (before any cable has been pulled) it will spring right back. The left one just stays in position and needs pushing back. When you do a full push of the lever to change up onto the large ring there is some returning force to the lever but not enough to actually move it back to the starting position.

It's an Ultegra 6700 shifter which is about 1.5 years old (age of bike) :?:

Mine displays similar behaviour.
    I have removed it from the bars and cleaned/soaked/dried thoroughly.... a bit better but basically knackrd and will live with it until I replace with probably 105.
    The bike is 4 years+ old now and methinks last Jan/Feb reliabilities in godforsaken conditions finally took its toll.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    had mine replaced under warranty through Chain Reaction took them about a week and that included sending back to me in Portugal.

The front ones can be a bit problematic see...

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12914428
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Bear in mind that WD40 is a water displacer not a lubricant, so you might want to try using a proper spray lube to fix the problem if you don't want to splash out on a new shifter.
  • bus_ter
    Old post but I thought I would provide an Update.

The above shifter was replaced under warranty back in 2013 and all was well. This is now my Winter bike so sees a lot less miles. But 2.5 years later the 'new' shifter now does the exact same thing. My right shifter is still working as well as ever.

No amount of cleaning, degreasing and re-greasing seems to help.

Oh well time to buy a new one. I suppose 5 years is not too bad. I might try a 105 5700 shifter this time. My once pride and joy is now a well worn Winter hack so I don't care about the mis-match.
  • Could it be the spring in the front derailleur, losing its tension, thereby not pulling enough on the cable to return the shifter to vertical?
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    bus_ter wrote:
    Old post but I thought I would provide an Update.

The above shifter was replaced under warranty back in 2013 and all was well. This is now my Winter bike so sees a lot less miles. But 2.5 years later the 'new' shifter now does the exact same thing. My right shifter is still working as well as ever.

No amount of cleaning, degreasing and re-greasing seems to help.

Oh well time to buy a new one. I suppose 5 years is not too bad. I might try a 105 5700 shifter this time. My once pride and joy is now a well worn Winter hack so I don't care about the mis-match.

One of the Bracketeers is selling a pair - worth dropping him a line. Chris Bass I think but pop a general post in there and someone will raise their head above the parapet.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My left Ultegra 6703 shifter failed as well, would change up to the bigger cog, but wouldn't change down again ... although it could be triggered by poking about inside the gubbins. After trying everything I purchased a new set, and dismantled the broken one. It turns out it was the return coil spring in the mechanism had snapped. So an £80-£100 shifter was written off because of what would in reality be a £2-£3 part ... and all because the shimano shifter isn't meant to be serviceable. I suspect it's something to do with the greater cable tension being pulled / released by the left shifter.