XTR shadow plus or Saint m820 Shadow plus for 1x10 setup

rave81
rave81 Posts: 57
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I would like to convert my Shimano M785 crank 2x10 into 1x10 setup. I am currently using a Shimano XTR shadow plus rear mech (long cage). My cassette is 11-36T.

I'm planning to use a 34T in the crank, now is the XTR shadow+ (long cage) is appropriate for 1x10 setup or do I need the medium cage?

I also want to find out if the Shimano Saint M820 Shadow+ is fully compatible with 11-36T cassette?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes long is fine, but not ideal, and Yes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a 1x10 you would normally go to a shortcage, the long will work fine but will be slightly more prone to damage (hangs lower) and also more likley to derail the chain on back pedal (as the lower jockey wheel is closer to the chainwheel), but if you already have it then......

Saint is a fair bit heavier than XTR, choose the right mech for the usage!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Actually just been looking into the last question. There is no spec sheet listed for the M820 - just the exploded diagram - other short cages list 34t max, but suspect in practice 36t will be fine.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Save some cash and go Zee.
  • rave81
    rave81 Posts: 57
    For a 1x10 you would normally go to a shortcage, the long will work fine but will be slightly more prone to damage (hangs lower) and also more likley to derail the chain on back pedal (as the lower jockey wheel is closer to the chainwheel), but if you already have it then......

Saint is a fair bit heavier than XTR, choose the right mech for the usage!
    I never experienced with chain being derailled in my 2x10 setup, but I agree it is prone to damage, several times small twig get stuck in my long cage xtr shadow+.

I'm thing rather than buying a shorter cage, it would be feasible to purchase the medium cage spare parts that cost $40 in Australia, the only problem I have to wait 4 to 8 weeks.

If I use the long cage will it maintain the smooth shifting?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Saint is only worth having if you need the extra strength, its a fair amount heavier than XTR and not as slick shifting.
    I dont think it will work with a 36t cassette either.
  • The Rookie
    rave81 wrote:
    If I use the long cage will it maintain the smooth shifting?
    Cae length is ONLY about capacity, so shifting will be unaffected by using a long where you could use a short.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Dunno, I'd still want the shortest cage possible for best shifting.
  • The Rookie
    As the upper Jockey determines shifting and that's in pretty much the same place regardless of cage length!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Just use it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools