Strava API Rant

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
Anyone else feeling a bit pee'd off with / let down by Strava of late ? They don't appear to have made any improvements to their website of late, other than the power related stuff which is probably useless for a large portion of their user base.

What has annoyed me the most is their policy regarding the new V3 developer API. There were many useful tools out there for data analysis, syncing etc. using V1 / V2 of their API, but their policy to be selective about who gets access to V3 (whilst shutting off legacy V1/V2 support) has meant that pretty much all of these tools - including an application that I wrote for syncing with Runkeeper, Strava, GarminConnect & RideWithGPS. I feel they should have migrated all of the people that had previously used V1/V2 and then restricted further developer link-ups.

At least they had some sense to grant V3 access for VeloViewer ... the guy behind that site has done a fantastic job on that site and some of the features he has come up with should have been done by Strava themselves. They really need to give him a job ;-)

</rant over>

Comments

• dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Just seen the BikeRadar activity sync is down, presumably because of this V3 api restriction. Another case in point.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Anyone fancy a pint?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    So Strava don't want people using competing services?

What a massive shock :lol:
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Massively pi$$Ed off and in a strop fit about it, frankly.
    Stravas business model is in getting their customers to pay for an "upgraded membership" which I did, willingly, then found out they have closed the API to "Fitness Tracker" which was a blackberry App which they themselves had promoted as a (non-supported) way for Blackberry users to use Strava.
    Cant even email the .gpx files as my version of Fitness Tracker seems to not be working right and I cant see the ride details of old rides.
    Toys well and truly out of the pram.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,652
    People get far too worked up about Strava from all aspects. It's just a fun app to add a bit of extra fun to a ride or run. Who really cares about it? Stick with the free version and you can't really complain. It's going to be even more of a waste of time for any sort of comparison with others in the future as the leaderboards will all be clogged with people using digital EPO. Just ride your bike and enjoy yourselves rather than getting all upset about something that doesn't matter.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Anyone fancy a pint?

:lol::lol::lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Pross wrote:
    People get far too worked up about Strava from all aspects. It's just a fun app to add a bit of extra fun to a ride or run. Who really cares about it? Stick with the free version and you can't really complain. It's going to be even more of a waste of time for any sort of comparison with others in the future as the leaderboards will all be clogged with people using digital EPO. Just ride your bike and enjoy yourselves rather than getting all upset about something that doesn't matter.

Of course it doesnt "matter", its only cycling, and I could care less about the competitive element of it as, aside from anything else, right now the KOM holder for the climb outside my house is, erm, Marco Pinotti. Be that as it may Strava was the only was I used to measure my rides and to see how my training is going, I dont want to buy another device (I like the idea of my phone as music system, phone and bike computer all in one, less to forget) and Ive paid for a service which I now cant use...
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • napoleond
    Use a free one like training peaks then.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Golden Cheetah?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Purple Monkey :lol:
  • napoleond
    GiantMike wrote:
    Golden Cheetah?

Is that the nick name given to an over 50 who uses that digital EPO thing to make them look quicker on Strava?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cleat Eastwood
    NapoleonD wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Golden Cheetah?

Is that the nick name given to an over 50 who uses that digital EPO thing to make them look quicker on Strava?

:lol::lol:

I could also tell you what purple monkey is but I'd be banned :lol:
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Golden Cheetah?

:lol::lol:

I could also tell you what purple monkey is but I'd be banned :lol:

:o
    ABCC Cycling Coach