Really pleased with 12-28 --> 12-30 switch

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I replaced my chain the other night, and with it the cassette, since I figured that with a 12-30 at the back instead of 12-28, the 7% lower lowest gear might be a bit of an insurance policy for some of the hills.

I used one extra link compared with the previous chain, and everything went together nicely. (Tiagra, 50/34, 105 CN-5600 chain if that's of interest).

Everything works well - it's slightly noisier cross-chaining from big to big, but otherwise all good.

Tried out the new lowest gear on a couple of climbs of Broomfield Hill in Richmond Park last night, and it's made a big difference. Not so much to the speed, but noticeably easier on the knees, and with the higher cadence, easier to control.

Just thought I'd post in case another relative newbie was considering the same change - can heartily recommend it.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I've got a 12-30 I stick on for hilly sportives I do. I did find I missed a 16 as the jump from 17 to 15 was a bit harsh but the top 2 (I think it goes 27,30) as bail out gears are welcome - the steep stuff is more enjoyable now.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got a 12-30 I stick on for hilly sportives I do. I did find I missed a 16 as the jump from 17 to 15 was a bit harsh but the top 2 (I think it goes 27,30) as bail out gears are welcome - the steep stuff is more enjoyable now.

Having lower gears can sometimes be a real bonus...going from 42/52 chainrings to a compact 34/50 made such a big difference.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nice one Chris,I went for a 30 rear on both my bikes and my best bike has the 32 which is even better,As you say don't make you quicker but makes it easier and keeps HR down.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori