First 10 (ten) miler tonight

agronomyman
agronomyman Posts: 13
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I realise this is a warm up for most of you but its a momentous milestone for me. Averaged 14.8 mph which is my fastest average speed too. I do believe that I have turned a corner.
According to my schedule I need to ride for 90 minutes this weekend so busy using Cyclestreet to plan a route.

Soon be able to hold my head up high in cyclists company!
;-)

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Well done its all about small steps - its true what you say there is a 'corner turning' moment when things just click, keep at it :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Good for you mate!. Only been into this sport for a few months myself and loving it!. Such a sense of satisfaction when you reach your mileage goals, regardless of distance or speed, at least you've done it!.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done on the 10.It is a milestone and now on to the next.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Soon be able to hold my head up high in cyclists company!
    Already there mate. Just keep going.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    10 easily becomes 30 becomes 50. I remember doing 18 miles on e early on and feeling alarmed at being so far from home.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    My first ride was five years ago and it was only six miles, I threw up as I was so unfit. Now racing TTs up to 100miles and looking to do 12hr race next season. Keep at it, you've already taken the biggest step by starting in the first place.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    As others have said - well done. It can be very intimidating some if the distances people post, but when new to it milestones are great to hit. Don't be too tied by your plan. as that average speed and 90 minutes would look an alarming jump in distance. I'd aim for 15, ideally with a little loop you can add in if feeling good towards the end, so 15+3 sort of thing.

FWIW when I started again around August last year I rode into my local town centre - about 1.25 miles. I was in a real state and genuinely concerned bout getting back home and home was downhill. I can go a tad further now!

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Goodstuff! Keep going! :D
    It's set to be a beautiful weekend too - slap on some sunscreen, pack your pockets with food, load your drinks bottles & get out there for some more!
    Cycling weakly