Getting Our Own Back

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
I don't know whether it's been suggested before but why don't we spam-call one or two of these kitchen companies? If every one of us picked a day and phoned 4 or 5 times to have a rant at the manager or MD, maybe it would make them think again about spamming forums...especially if their phone lines and staff are tied up with pi$$ed off cyclists

Crap idea?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    I don't know whether it's been suggested before but why don't we spam-call one or two of these kitchen companies? If every one of us picked a day and phoned 4 or 5 times to have a rant at the manager or MD, maybe it would make them think again about spamming forums...especially if their phone lines and staff are tied up with pi$$ed off cyclists

Crap idea?
    Depends whether you end up talking to a real person or a machine. Maybe kitchen companies make it easier to talk to a human being than the organisations I end up having to call...

Edit: I nearly missed out on the excellent Russian dashboard cam video because I assumed the thread was spam. No idea why I jumped to that conclusion!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,870
    Email them a couple of hundred times a day asking if they want to buy a well worn pair of bib shorts or a cracked Raleigh chopper frame.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Don't blame the kitchen companies, blame DDD! He started it all off with his 'what kitchen' thread.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Get our own back? What are you on about? I find these posts provide me with valuable info about where I can source myself a high quality kitchen at a bargain price in my own local area! Bring them on I say! :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'll admit to being tempted to contact one that is near to my parents.
    I doubt that some of them will know what is going on. It will probably be some local firm that has been conned into handing over cash to some Internet Marketing company who has promised them that they will advertise their services countrywide.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I'm already exacting my revenge by NEVER going in the kitchen again.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,684
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Where's the 'like' button when you need it?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Raymondo60 wrote:

How do you get at the cake?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes most likely it's not the kitchen companies directly but some 'SEO' company who has promised to get them top of google and they think spamming forums is the way to do it.
  • meanredspider
    Yes most likely it's not the kitchen companies directly but some 'SEO' company who has promised to get them top of google and they think spamming forums is the way to do it.

Yup - that might be the case - but how will these kitchen companies know that they're doing the spamming unless people start telling them?

I think I'll give one a call today to see what the story is
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    So you get through to a human being. It's just one company:

Whois lookup shows

Domain name:
    kitchendesign1.co.uk

Registrant:
    Laura Digweed

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:
    The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
    address omitted from the WHOIS service.

The website shows no address. I asked to speak to a manager but "they don't get in until around 10 o'clock" :roll:

ETA - If the site is used for trading, are they supposed to have their address shown on whois?
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    <a>road</a>
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Crap idea?
    Already do it.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

Whois lookup shows

Domain name:
    kitchendesign1.co.uk

Registrant:
    Laura Digweed

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:

The website shows no address. I asked to speak to a manager but "they don't get in until around 10 o'clock" :roll:

ETA - If the site is used for trading, are they supposed to have their address shown on whois?
    Productive day at work then :lol:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858

Whois lookup shows

Domain name:
    kitchendesign1.co.uk

Registrant:
    Laura Digweed

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:

Complain to the registrat (you didn't list it), lots have policy like: -
    If you believe a domain name is incorrectly opted out of the WHOIS you can make a complaint. We will investigate all complaints to check compliance with our opt out policy. If we uphold your complaint the domain name will be opted back in to the WHOIS.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • meanredspider
    kelsen wrote:

Whois lookup shows

Domain name:
    kitchendesign1.co.uk

Registrant:
    Laura Digweed

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:

Productive day at work then :lol:

1 hour and 20 mins before I'm due to start.... :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I run a forum for work, keeping the spammers out is a pain in the ass for us admins.

I guess that makes me a professional forum troll!

I find the swear filter can be a very useful tool as it'll corrupt URLs that the spam is trying to direct you to.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.